Google NLP API - Not ranking? Maybe your content is being categorised for the wrong subject

Degree
I just found out about https://cloud.google.com/natural-language today and am really interested in seeing how Google categories my content. I'm guessing that it will also categorise my website too. My site is still new and my content is being categories under "we don't know". I think that's why the rankings are shit right now. It's not in the right category. I also think that content is being filtered under omitted results, if Google things the content is for another category and irrelevant to the query. That's my hunch.

If you past your content into "Try the API" and go to Categories, it'll show you what category Google's NLP API thinks the content is about. Your LSI and keywords might be off, if Google thinks your content is about recipes, when it is in fact about weight loss.

Anyone else tried this?

Yeah, I talked about Named Entity Recognition & Disambiguation in the Crash Course, which is how Google determines which category a page should fall into, among other things. That post tells where they source the entity data from (Wikimedia) and how to use it to dial in your on-page and "entity SEO."

I think another interesting way of considering the NLP stuff is relevance between linking pages. If you have the luxury of creating backlinks in some fashion like forum posts, guest posts, or whatever, you have the ability to dial in the surrounding text or the entire post to by hyper-relevant to the keyword you want to rank for.

Back