Google News News | Approved Sites - Fact Check Academy - News Initiative

GNews

White Hat Genius
BuSo Pro
Degree
Decided to consolidate the Google News updates i have into one post for users.

There's a lot of progress going on with the Google News Initiative , which will essentially RESTRUCTURE search as we know it today. It's already happening in SERPS but some might not be keen to it.

For instance, the new 'local filters" for news search that will allow people to focus on only the news from their area. And if you missed my other post, news now has FAQ snippets (read news here). This will boost retention times and heighten ranks of sites, that may not have been so powerful before.

What's the goal of all this in my eyes? Google's trying to minimize the power any particular site has and also 'induct/contract' smaller media outlets to help them create legally safe News content. They are resetting the rules since everybody's been trying to send lawsuits their way. This is just my opinion. Appears to be a chess game.

New Google News Search Index Layout

The new layout to GN search index came about 3 weeks ago. As seen on TechCrunch, it's allowing people to track both Local News and top stories. You can choose multiple locations to feature news from on the right panel under 'local news'. Notice the tags with the different cities?

US-Desktop-UI-2.jpg

Supposedly this is about replicating the feeling of reading a physical newspaper. And the only thing that's really gone is the 'weather' module that was featured before.

This change is just the latest way we’re bringing local news to users around the world. Last year, we expanded a feature on Google Search so readers around the world can now see a carousel of local news stories when Google finds local news coverage relevant to their query. This helps them easily find stories from local news publishers,” said a Google News representative in a statement.

Also, as I mentioned before, "FACT CHECKING" is now a live feature. Users will be able to see an advisory next to sites' headlines if that site publishes questionable content.

Google News Fact Check Academy

And this will only get more intense soon. Google's been working in Asia, primarily from India from what I have read, to develop a fact checking team. A group of individuals that will solely or highly prioritize the task of manually fact checking news sites content. And it's not clear to what degree, but it's very serious.

Google News is teamed with Internews, DataLEADS, with technical and programmatic support from BoomLive and Alt News, First Draft and Storyful. Supposedly they have already trained upwards of 39,000 journalist thus far in India, to know how to review and 'grade' news content in more than 10 languages.

Recently Google News announced they were looking to induct 100 more professionals/semi-professionals of journalism and/or data to join the GNFCA. They are looking for people who know the languages of Punjabi, Gujarati, Odia, Assamese, or Malayalam. They are accepting applications until the end of this month, July 30th.

USA

And of course, it's not just in India however. In the US, Google has Multiple chapters/factors to the Google News Initiative that are seeking small journalism outlets to integrate into their plan. Recently, 19 American News organizations were awarded funding by Google News in conjunction with Northwestern’s Medill School of Journalism.

This was not for the GN Fact Check Academy however. This was about smaller individual projects, where it seems Google is testing relationship with credible journalists.

CarolinaPublicPress.com , who was one of those awarded, reports the funds and instruction are to promote the growth of data-driven investigative reporting project. However, it was on the topic of how infrequently district attorneys successfully prosecuted sexual assault crimes in North Carolina.

There's a lot going on and my brain's racing at this hour but I hope people keep up with this post. Google News has a lot going on from all I've been seeing the last 3 years as the professional that created the niche. Even PRWeek is reporting Google News will soon be the way to do branded news.

I'm almost wondering if Google News will soon be dominated by dynamic SERPs, highly sensitive to trending news. It already kind of is, but it's not as 'apparent' as it could be. And I think it will go there.

Back