Google Algorithm Updates - 2023 Ongoing Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Google releases October 2023 broad core update​

This is the third Google core update of 2023. The rollout is expected to take up to two weeks to complete.
Google’s October 2023 core update is now rolling out and may take up to two weeks to complete.

rdlBWX9.png

This is the third Google core update of 2023. The rollout is expected to take up to two weeks to complete.
Google’s October 2023 core update is now rolling out and may take up to two weeks to complete.

rdlBWX9.png
Someone needs to sit the fuck down at Google HQ. This is getting silly - will this core update now undo what was done over the last weeks?

Even from a PR perspective it looks dire for Google - hey guys we are updating with a major update after a major update - wuuuut.

rdlBWX9.png
And they're not done.... There'll still be a Nov/Dec core update, Product reviews update and maybe a "Reviews" Update before the end of the year.

Someone needs to sit the fuck down at Google HQ. This is getting silly - will this core update now undo what was done over the last weeks?
BWAHAHHAHA!, i havent laughed this hard with out being stoned in a long time. Hang on to your asses fellas. The madness continues, google is on its period... LOL

This is probably also like how your iPhone tends to lose its battery quicker in August, just in time for the new one, so Google tends to mess around with the serps in September, so people will find their Adwords budgets again for Q4 earning goals.

Get stuck in now. Little point waiting. Could be another update the minute this one ends
I lol’d re-reading this from week ago ^. This comment made me re-think my life currently seeking through mr media’s old posts and learning all I can (laugh emoji)

My solution = tackle other social media platforms for traffic, make a product, repeat

For example in the Dutch serps I have a site that lost all its featured snippets. Now a competitor take some over, but interestingly enough he has the featured snippet and #1 spot for some.

This wasn't uncommon a few years ago, but nowadays that shouldnt be possible anymore.

I mentioned it a few days ago that my site lost all Featured List snippets with the HCU.

Yesterday I saw this tweet on Twitter: So it looks like I am not the only one experiencing this.

Anyone else has this issue?

Not sure why some of these people have their panties in a wad.

Back in the 2000's Google didn't tell us of their updates or the reason behind it.

If you wanted the traffic, you just kept dealing with Google and their shuffles.

Everyone crying on X, Facebook, TikTok, and everywhere else thinks Google owes them something? Ha.

Google could stop telling you about each update and all of you would have to still have to suckle off the teet of Sergy and Larry because you want that traffic flow that Google provides.

You all being loyal to Google like they gonna take care of you for you following what they say, is comparable to GenX thinking they were gonna be taken care of with pensions staying loyal to their job for 40 years coming up. Laughable.

Learn to be a marketer and a business person, instead of a "Googler"

I mentioned it a few days ago that my site lost all Featured List snippets with the HCU.

Yesterday I saw this tweet on Twitter: So it looks like I am not the only one experiencing this.

This is a quality issue. It's likely your website has a sitewide classifier from the HCU.

In all likelihood you will need to improve site-wide quality signals over time and wait for the next HCU to see a full recovery.

It is possible to see an improvement in the interim but you will still have the classifier / 'ball and chain' weighing down performance until the update refreshes (provided you have fixed any quality issues).

Are you saying this because "all snippets" were lost or are you seeing something else in the comment that makes you think this?
I looked at the site quoted above which isn't OP's website but one in a similar position.

It could be an error on G's part but seems unlikely given the timings.

Seems far more likely that if you lose all snippets during an update like the HCU then G has reclassified your website against its new quality signals and determined that it's no longer worthy of the snippet.

Alright let's take a look at this Macgasm.net site.

The home page has content dating from 2020, 2021 - odd.

The whole gaming section was last updated in 2015 - latest content - very odd.

The Tips section has content from 2022.

This is critical the News section has content from - 2015.

This website honestly looks like a reconstructed website from a dead domain, because everything is about Mac, until you get to the "Data Recovery" section - which WAYYYYYYYYY WAYYYYYYYYYY off topic.

rdG9ltB.gif

Look at the sections, which ones doesn't fit?

- Data Recovery
- Apple News
- Gaming
- Software
- iOS
- Tips

For the slow kids talking in the back, the answer is "Data Recovery" doesn't look right.

Use the Way Back Machine Archive and you'll see that in 2016 there was zero topics on "Data Recovery" - completely different site.

If anyone thinks this is a high quality website - you are looney tunes.

Someone took the time to make serious updates to it, but it's clearly a different operation.

Social Media:

- Facebook, last post from 2022, July.
- Twitter, literally 3 posts from 2023, and everything else is from 2022 and before. So they might have finally figured out they have to update their social presences.

- YouTube - last video - 9 years ago. That seems very odd.

5 minutes of research and clicking around tells you that this site stopped publishing content around 2015 - then magically started up again?

Stopped publishing videos videos 9 years ago - 1000% guarantee they don't have access to that YouTube channel they are linking to. Yet these clowns have Google Analytics installed. Google's not going to notice it's a different account for the analytics versus the YouTube?

Again anyone that doesn't see this site looks like swiss cheese is looney tunes. 5 minutes and I found 200+ holes in their armor.

They are lucking that site lasted this long in the first place.

9RMnHCa.gif

SEOs need their head examined if they though that site is "helpful".

SEOs need their head examined if they though that site is "helpful".
Tbh I did not even check out that site properly. But I was more mentioning it as sample that I see more people reporting this. My site doesn't look like that site, is not in those niches either, and doesn't show display ads.

In my case either Google isn't showing any snippets now or some from my competitors which either have similar or worse content.

I held my snippets for almost 3 years so it would be strange, but not impossible, that all of a sudden my content isn't quality anymore.

Anyways let's see how this update will do, as a lot of things happening of course. I guess it is indeed some qualifier on steroids that is causing it.

At least all these updates have showed me another time to focus a lot more on other traffic sources and/or media asap.

Edit: The site I am talking about is Dutch btw.

Last edited:
My thoughts as of now is that Google is favoring public organizations.

You've to prove and demonstrate that you're a tangible entity...

Once you do, you can pretty much get away with murder and get a free pass from G.

My thoughts as of now is that Google is favoring public organizations.

You've to prove and demonstrate that you're a tangible entity...

Once you do, you can pretty much get away with murder and get a free pass from G.
A move in the right direction. All the Anonymous Andys out there talking about shit they're afraid to put their face on can move to the 2nd page.

All the Anonymous Andys out there talking about shit they're afraid to put their face on can move to the 2nd page

This is something I'm struggling with right now... I'm of the opinion that anonymous accounts can still build trust and authority as long as they do the work and build real authority in their space. There are a few really good examples of how to do this in BuSo. So I don't think it's as much about anonymity as it is about putting any face or name to the content/site, as long as the underlying trust/authority is there.

A move in the right direction. All the Anonymous Andys out there talking about shit they're afraid to put their face on can move to the 2nd page.

Yeah, I mean, I'm not one to shame people for making a buck, but in the grand scheme of things, most of us here would be better if we could focus on a niche we were interested and passionate about and put our face on it.

I am against the increasing use of "experts" in everything though. Like with so many people and their mediocre university degrees that it sort of becomes that you can't make a site about fishing unless you were a marine biologist.

There's an increasing move of fake meritocracy on the rise and EEAT contributes to that imo.

In any case, someone smart once said, if you can't tell your parents about what you're doing, maybe find something else to do.

Make a site that you feel comfortable putting your face on.

@bernard the most definitive way to get G to trust you and fulfill all of the EEAT signals is with a brick & mortar and a GMB.

The photos, GPS signals, reviews make it easily verifiable with an absolute degree of certainty.

hnv1LwS.png

That right there is all the "social proof" you'll ever need.

I can cough up dog poop on my local biz website and G thinks its gold.

@bernard the most definitive way to get G to trust you and fulfill all of the EEAT signals is with a brick & mortar and a GMB.

The photos, GPS signals, reviews make it easily verifiable with an absolute degree of certainty.

hnv1LwS.png

That right there is all the "social proof" you'll ever need.

I can cough up dog poop on my local biz website and G thinks its gold.

You're probably right about that.

I wonder if buying expired domains that had a local presence would be worth it?

I built my newest site on such a domain and still get all the brand searches, but in some mobile widget, Google labelled the site as a "Price comparison" site.

Google labelled the site as a "Price comparison" site.

Doesn't that prove Google is not stupid? If you bought a expired domain which used to be a local business, but now is not - it means Google has been able to figure out the expired domain game pretty easily.

Doesn't that prove Google is not stupid? If you bought a expired domain which used to be a local business, but now is not - it means Google has been able to figure out the expired domain game pretty easily.

Sure, but it is a price comparison site, so that's good.

You wouldn't want to rank for broad generic keywords like ecommerce does anyway.

Except with the new HCU update, ecommerce and brands are ranking for review keywords, which for sure is not helpful for consumers.

Not really interested in analysing minutia in google updates, but the most recent one seemed very primitive.

Someone mentioned machine learning and that would make sense, it had all the hallmarks of machine learning strategies, find something that works and double down to the max and disregard nuance.

The SERPs are still horrendous
Try this and check the results and the dates: https://www.google.com/search?q=how+many+tails+a+cat+has

Though one good thing about this. There is no way they will keep it like this, as it is a huge mess now it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back