Google Algorithm Updates - 2023 Ongoing Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone seeing movement right now? August 12 onwards one site has lost around 50% organic search traffic.

I haven't noticed a sudden drop. But if I compare to a month ago, I've had a gradual decline of 10%.

I've only just started to implement proper EEAT - I mean, a real, strong online social presence for my authors that can be validated. I had to think outside the box a bit, but I'm hopeful I will start to see signs of recovery over the next few months.

It's the only possible thing I can think of that many of us are missing that will lead to recovery.

Last edited:
I've only just started to implement proper EEAT - I mean, a real, strong online social presence for my authors that can be validated. I had to think outside the box a bit, but I'm hopeful I will start to see signs of recovery over the next few months.

It's the only possible thing I can think of that many of us are missing that will lead to recovery.
Are these "authors" real? I've seen some sites have their authors social media profiles link back to their /author/ page on the website.

These are from main positions. Not FAQ, featured or other rich snippets.

Did they bounce back? Or are you saying that the drops took place over those 3 days?

Seems to have mostly bounced back, but I can't really tell because of seasonality, but it was a massive drop like 15-20% compared to the usual same weekdays.

I don't see a lot of changes in rankings, so perhaps it's to do with FAQ or some other reshuffling of Featured Snippets etc.

I don't see a lot of changes in rankings, so perhaps it's to do with FAQ or some other reshuffling of Featured Snippets etc.
Yeah, looking at all of the other sites I track, nothing else has shot up/dropped in this time. I'll keep publishing and see how things play out over the next few weeks.

Are these "authors" real? I've seen some sites have their authors social media profiles link back to their /author/ page on the website.

You can test if it works by googling their pen names.

I use a pen name, which is my first name and a made up last name and when I google it, I get both my Twitter feed (in a carousel) and my actual LinkedIn profile popup (not pen name) and also my websites where I use that author, so Google clearly has associated SoMe with that name. I wonder if this is the beginning of getting a knowledge graph?

@bernard @illmasterj
On the topic of "Authors," I've been styling mine after WIKI page profiles. Example = Elon Musk

My profile pages are quite extensive... Yes, I have that rectangular box with the photo and everything.

Even if you just google him, there is that side knowledge panel. That format seems to be what google likes, you might as well serve it to G on a silver platter.

I've noticed in some rank racking that keywords seem to drop in and out of index depending on which IP is searching.

Rank tracking company says no issues with their tracking. Could this have something to do with it?

Little too quiet. I think a Core update is due any day. Make sure you're not over-optimized. The Core penalty box sux.

Little too quiet. I think a Core update is due any day. Make sure you're not over-optimized. The Core penalty box sux.

I'm worried, but so far, I wouldn't put it beyond seasonal variation. There do seem to be some fluctuations. Last night I had some all time high rankings, following a week of very low traffic. Strange.

Weird, I googled a keyword and it wasn't ranking and then I googled it using "site:xyz.com" and it didn't show up as indexed. Then I googled it from another browser and it showed as indexed. Then I repeated it and now it was indexed on the other browser.

Could be some kind of indexing issue like we've had in the past.

I've noticed in some rank racking that keywords seem to drop in and out of index depending on which IP is searching.

Rank tracking company says no issues with their tracking. Could this have something to do with it?
I'm not sure if you are referring to my comment or not, but in the site I am tracking, GSC shows lower clicks and impressions (but interestingly enough same average position, indicating they have zero rankings for many keywords that it previously ranked for before). In addition to this, GA shows lower traffic as well.

I'm not sure if you are referring to my comment or not, but in the site I am tracking, GSC shows lower clicks and impressions (but interestingly enough same average position, indicating they have zero rankings for many keywords that it previously ranked for before). In addition to this, GA shows lower traffic as well.

I have some major drops in average rankings too though, but that's what weird, not when I google manually.

When I use my rank tracker tool, I often get like huge drops, like down 20-30 positions or dropped entirely, then I google with a different IP and they're back and so on, or they drop one day and back the next day.

This doesn't seem like an update or at least a biproduct of an update. I hope its not an old school penalty in the form of -20 or -30. Those penalties do seem to be around still for linkspam updates.

When I use my rank tracker tool,
I'm finding my rank tracker to be extremely unreliable so I'm mostly going by GSC as that's probably most accurate. Just filter for page/keyword and boom - free (and potentially more accurate) rank tracking

This doesn't seem like an update or at least a biproduct of an update. I hope its not an old school penalty in the form of -20 or -30. Those penalties do seem to be around still for linkspam updates.
Agreed, it seems that way but is too early to tell. There was some recovery yesterday, so I will still give it some time to see where this situation ends up.

meQtKas.jpg

Business as usual again. Nothing was changed other than a handful of extra posts being published (same as always).

GG semrush sensor, it was fun using you while it lasted.
ENloUbg.png

GG semrush sensor, it was fun using you while it lasted.
ENloUbg.png
Yep - SEMRush has gone to shit. Barely useful for even looking at kw position movements anymore. The featured snippets change they made to their data recently showed a massive decline on one of my sites whilst it continues to grow fast.

Just useless at this point other than using for kw gap tool which I like to use.

We brought you all SERPWoo and it's volatility tool, as the only tool that updates in live time ( not a day later ) on our entire dataset ( not just a subsection of keywords, like all other tools ).

But you keep using inferior products for some reason.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3QaP7pu.png

Not seeing anything yet here.
Same here. I haven't noticed anything yet. Kinda weird, not much chatter about it anywhere I check (such as /r/juststart). Probably too soon or something.

Not sure if update-related, but some ridiculous errors popping up on GSC all of a sudden with duplicate pages (pages with decent content and internal links which are not remotely related to each other).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back