Google Algorithm Updates - 2019 Ongoing Discussion

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Possible Update: 7/30/19

Ignoring the giant, unrealistic spike everyone but SERPWoo has for the update that didn't happen:

SERPWoo:

Algoroo:

Mozcast:

SEMRush:

SERPmetrics:

This one seems legit. I saw a visible spike in organic traffic yesterday that settled back down to where I was before. But something is definitely up. Looks to still be rolling out.

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Confirmed Update: 8/27/19

Look at my organic traffic to this one site:

Hopefully that spike isn't just a spike like you see before, but a sustained boost. What are you guys seeing?

The Usual Weathermen:

And for fun, look at this guy and how much data he must be gathering to be such a prophet:

Degree
I am seeing a few jumps on individual pages that I've been working on, onpage and offpage. Nothing major site wide, but a few pages hit record highs.

GarrettGraff

Cui Bono?
Degree
Business as usual.. unfortunately. Site has been flat since the drop in June.

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
That bump I saw on the 8/27/19 update seems to be sticking:

The only problem is that, while my traffic is up a significant amount, my affiliate link clicks are down. I'm not surprised, seems like a continuance of the Medic-style concern with "Your Money, Your Life" SERPs. I didn't check but I'm sure I'm losing traffic to the typical "Best ___" and "___ Reviews" style posts to old giants with more time and trust metrics flowing.

Degree
See some action from this update on one of my sites - decimated :(

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree

I wanted to wait a couple days at least before commenting on how my main site did with this update. This is the same one I've struggled with since August 2018. I got that nice bump on 8/27, and now I'm getting an almost equivalent bump again! Time will tell if it holds on or not, but so far so good. This post in this thread summarizes quickly the work I did leading up to this. Makes it sound simple but it was months of work.

Degree
Makes it sound simple but it was months of work.
But there's no way to know for sure if it was the work that you did that caused the traffic increase, right? Anyways congrats on the boost, you deserve it.

My small site is down 10% in traffic, nothing critical. My friend's site got decimated, despite them having the best content in the niche.

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
But there's no way to know for sure if it was the work that you did that caused the traffic increase, right?
Yes, but I can tell you that, despite all the things I did to improve the site, the main two things that I can almost guarantee were the solution was pruning low quality content and fixing like 800 empty pages in the index. I agonized over every piece of information I could find and determined it was a Panda issue, treated it like a Panda issue, and am now being released from that prison.

What I'm saying is, with enough study, looking at the effects of the problem, looking at the timing, seeing the most glaring mistakes, you can get a very informed opinion on the category of problem and then apply the medicine and do so with a high level of confidence.

But I also did the typical "shotgun spray, nuclear option, find any possible problem, tiny or huge, and fix it" method too, because there's no point in leaving it up to chance since so much of this is time based with filters refreshing maybe once every 6 months.

JasonSc

BuSo Pro
Degree
I can almost guarantee were the solution was pruning low quality content
I have been having great success with content pruning. For some reason, the agency I'm at did a bunch of "3 part series" along time ago. Combing those together has been super helpful. Also cutting dated pages which get next no or low traffic has been giving me some SERP love.

mikey3times

BuSo Pro
Degree
My technical site got nailed and I'm down 15-20% starting on 9/25.

The site is for a profession and might be on the edge of YMYL. It isn't health, law, or finance related, but it can be considered a professional site where you should be qualified to provide info. I didn't get hit by Medic so I assume it doesn't fall into YMYL for Google's purposes.

I saw another link mention that this had to do with time on site, but I'm not sure because my other site has similar statistics and didn't get hit so who knows. I'm not changing my strategy or overhauling content based on this update. I'm just trying to make the best site for the visitors.