Good stuff, everyone.

MetaData

BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Degree
I just wanted to pop in and say I'm happy with how this newbies area's is working out...

The objective is to give people a place to ask their first few questions, and to get a bit of a feel for the forum before we give them free-reign on the rest of the categories. Or, answer a few questions and you'll be outta here in no time as well.

Curious what you guys think of this feature? We figure it ensures spammers don't make it into the main forum (At least, not as easily...), it gets those first few newbie questions outta the way, and if you don't have any questions and you're an experienced marketer - well - it won't take you very long to get the 3 posts.

Is 3 a good number? Would you guys like to see more?

I'd fear that this section could be over-flooded with automated spammers but I'm sure you'll have enough registration blocks up that they won't, and even then they'd have to teach their bots to only post in this section at first. It's not going to happen. Manual spammers might try but half will be too stupid to understand what they are supposed to do, and the other half will get frustrated and move on to a different forum. The ones that do persist will be picked off easily.

The largest benefit of making sure people flow through here first is that newbie needs are going to constantly be fulfilled, versus the many forums where those forum sections become largely ignored. This should ensure that activity is always happening here, and actual needs are being met.

It's a win, I believe.

I have just literally signed up and when I saw the message, it didn't really bother me because I understood the reasoning immediately. It'll ensure the rest of the forum isn't trashed by a bunch of wankers. Keeps the moderation headaches to a minimum.

3 is about the right amount. Any more than that and it becomes a hassle

It has to be one of the more novel ways I've seen when it comes to discouraging spammers. I like it, and like you mentioned, if you have half a clue (which is about all I have - lol) it shouldn't be too difficult to come up with three posts of reasonable quality. :smile:

Back