Goals for 2019 - July to December

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree

We're going to try something different.

The monthly goals format is stale and less and less people are interested in it. It's become boring and predictable. Another issue is that many of us run Lab threads, so we can end up posting the same stuff in multiple places, which is tedious.

Let's turn this completely free-form:
  • Want to post monthly goals? Sounds good to me.
  • Want to post a daily journal about what you've done, what challenges you faced? Great, let's do it.
  • Want to jump in whenever you can at random? Now that's free-form!
This can be casual or as formal as you like. I think this will simply be more interesting and valuable for everybody if these threads run for a longer time and more conversation can be had within them. If it works good, we can do a year long thread for 2020.

Feel free to give feedback if you're a Goal Thread Enthusiast. Your opinion matters the most.

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
July Overview

Client Site - Redesign Done

Picking up from last month, I wrapped up that site re-design I did for a new client. Was fun and pleasant and fast thanks to them being completely organized and knowing what they wanted. I then turned my attention right back to my main project.

Main Project - Ported Back From Staging Server
My main project has been sitting on a staging server for 6 months as I did an obscene technical SEO audit on it, converted every post to Gutenberg while creating custom blocks and fixing up other issues and improving the content. The theme is half as big, much faster, and everything is cleaner with faster queries. I looked at and improved every possible thing. Even removed 301 redirected sites, pruned 147 pieces of content, etc. I went nuclear on it.

Main Project - Content Drip
So now there's nothing else. I might have some bad links in my portfolio or something, but they're so few and far in between, they can't possibly be a problem. All that's left is to scale content. I'm not even interested in getting backlinks right now. My goal is to ramp up to a steady publishing schedule and keep it in place forever as the top priority for this project.

New Project - Get Live & See Reaction
Tonight & Tomorrow, hopefully just tonight, I intend to get a basic Wordpress install up and configured for a new project. I've mentioned around that I have this crazy old and powerful domain not being used that has the main word of a class of products in the domain name. All the backlinks are from the oldest and most juicy sites on the net, zero exaggeration. They're completely relevant in terms of the niche and vertical, but perhaps not the content itself.

Anyways, I got a nice long piece of content for an information term written. I'm going to build out a basic homepage and get the category structure set up, then post this article and see how Google reacts to it. If it starts ranking well, it's all outsourced hands on deck to get more content done quickly. If it does really well I'll probably design a custom theme for it and add it into my mental compartment of my main projects.

--------

Today

Since it's the first of the month, I'll be doing my EOTM (End of the Month) routine first. Then I'll jump over to the new project build.

If you guys don't have an EOTM or Start of the Month routine, I highly advise it. I do things during it like:
  • Pay bills
  • Reconcile all bank statements with my software and clear current transactions
  • Gracefully reboot my servers
  • Crawl my sites for broken links, images, and videos
  • Update my disavow files
  • Check my domains for upcoming expirations
  • Run finances and other metrics for my site's spreadsheets
  • Check backups to ensure everything is still working there
  • Etc.
There's certain things that don't demand constant action but need to be touched every once in a while. This is the perfect time to do it, and making a list means it won't be eating up your mental RAM during the month, freeing you up to take care of the real work.

darkzerothree

DunkelNullDrei
Degree
July

SAAS

Here we have a lot riding on the initial meeting with the stakeholders on Wednesday, 3rd of July.
Either they give the go ahead, or the project is dead.

• meeting /w stakeholders done - funding secured
  • Connection to SIM card and location detection done and presented
  • Start of MVP development
Client site 1
  • Finish documentation
  • Send invoices
  • Secure outsourcee

Client Site 2
  • Small updates (panorama pic, staff site)

Other
  • "Hermes" course started

I'm omitting non-biz stuff here (health, etc..) unless this is of interest?

Degree
July Goals

Client Work

-Get 1 more writing client
-Hire 1 writer

Niche Site
-Post 50 articles
-Revamp my PBNs
More info: Lab Journal

Personal
-Start exercising (3 days a week, 15 mins a day)

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
I've been meaning to post here more frequently as a way to congeal my thoughts in my mind, maybe raise some good conversation, and just be entertaining to some degree. So here we go.

This Week

We're halfway through July, and above I posted a monthly overview. I want to check in and see if I'm on target.

Main Project
Yes, I ported the site back to the live server. It went swimmingly well. I about had a heart attack doing it just because I'd built it up so high in my mind. It went over with zero down time. I went ahead and started dripping some new content too, like planned. Three posts have gone out so far. I've slowed down on that for the moment as I take care of something below. But I'll try to get another piece of content out before the week is over.

New Project
I wanted to get something live and see how Google reacts. I did get something live but it's so shit (in my eyes) that I fear it's not going to be good enough for Google. It's a basic theme with two pieces of content on it and a tiny homepage and category page. So I went ahead and ordered a logo, got it back, and started building a custom theme. I've put probably 10 hours into it and am halfway done. I'm keeping it very minimal but that hasn't stopped it from looking amazing either. It's crazy how much time gets eaten up by designing special little features that make very little impact, versus just getting the broad swaths done. I'm going to order content as soon as I can get some research done. I'd like to add that to the staging server then port it all back live in one shot so Google has something tasty to eat up all in one go.

These two things are consuming all of my time right now. When the New Project is live, I'm going to start a 3rd project that I've wanted to do for a while, but it's going to require me to find an aged and juicy domain or find a live site I can purchase off someone, which is usually hard to do since they always over-value their precious babies.

All in all, I'm ahead of schedule and under budget!