Go to the gym!

Degree
For all marketers arround... please, please... GO TO THE GYM!

Your selfesteem and significant other will thank you.

Start with a 5x5 routine and don't mind anyone in the gym, buff guys are teddybears on the inside full of bullshit, so don't be scared.

Any questions, routines, advices or whatever post it...

Yes I agree @soynacho. More than anything, it helps with your mood and makes you feel more alert during the day. I usually workout 5 days a week, before work. I get up around 4:45 am mon-fri.

I used to be the exercise master, then I slipped off for a few years. I've been back at it for about 8 months now, never felt better.

I had a realization at one point. We are in this pursuit of success and money and power, yet all of these things mean nothing if our vehicle dies on us. Health is the foremost thing we must have. It is fundamental. It holds primacy over everything else. Physical and mental health are the springs from which all of these other trees grow that will eventually produce the fruits we desire.

So I put health at the top of my priority list and I quit accepting excuses about not having time, being too tired just this one time (which becomes every time).

I also began eating better. For months I continued to crave "nasty" foods and would allow myself to have them here and there. I've weened off them and now when I eat them I literally feel off. I feel unsettled, gross, and just 'bad'. It's hard to describe. But my body is asking for exercise and asking for healthy food now, and I'm reaping productivity benefits from it due to a clearer cognition.

Yes, I agree. EXERCISE.

Yes! This is so true. You don't realise how much your metabolism has gone to shit, until you eat a celery stick and put on 5 pounds. Exaggeration yeah, but it sucks. I love exercising now. I run about 2 miles per day. And I work on my Ashtanga Yoga ever so often. I stopped going to the gym, because well, the gym closest to me is full of arrogant meat-heads that I'd rather not deal with on a day to day basis. Not unlike some IM forums out there. But I digress.

Healthy eating is also a must, like all you say. When you go +6 months on a diet, eating McD's feels bad in your stomach...

Chicken breast and pasta is like heaven for me, and everyone at work looks funny at me... xD

In my late teens I used to be in great shape, since then... Well, ah, not so much!

Funny that this thread is here as in the last week and a half I've really been making a concerted effort to change this aspect of my life around. Just got done sipping down a green tea upon waking up. Dem antioxidants.

I was always a 'meathead' at heart actually and for me it's cardio that I hate doing, so will be getting started there and adding the weights in later. Will be getting up an hour earlier than usual to go for my jog, which shows I think that if we can make a sacrifice then we can all find time to do exercise.

I'm a big believer as well that you have to make small consonant changes in order to make a lasting change later on. Basically, don't try to change all your habits at once or you're more likely to fail at all of them, rather than succeed at one at a time.

- RF

• IIFYM + Realistic Calorie Goal = Success

• If you're gaining weight, you are in caloric surplus.

• If you're losing weight, you are in caloric deficit.

• Eat more/less based on your goals above. It is simple thermodynamics and math.

• The "Gluten free" fad is bullshit, unless you have Celiac, which is incredibly rare.

• If you're not sure where to start in the gym, go search and find "Prilepin's chart". Periodization is important, and this is a simple way of working with that. From there, experiment and figure out what your current max is for a given exercise, then you can easily calculate those percentages. Start off with the most basic movements; push, pull, squat. Keep it simple. You don't have to do a dozen different exercises per muscle group. Use freeweights or machines, whatever works.

• IIFYM + Realistic Calorie Goal = Success
  • If you're gaining weight, you are in caloric surplus.
  • If you're losing weight, you are in caloric deficit.
  • Eat more/less based on your goals above. It is simple thermodynamics and math.
  • The "Gluten free" fad is bullshit, unless you have Celiac, which is incredibly rare.
  • If you're not sure where to start in the gym, go search and find "Prilepin's chart". Periodization is important, and this is a simple way of working with that. From there, experiment and figure out what your current max is for a given exercise, then you can easily calculate those percentages. Start off with the most basic movements; push, pull, squat. Keep it simple. You don't have to do a dozen different exercises per muscle group. Use freeweights or machines, whatever works.

+1

I recommend starting with a 5x5 or a starting strenght, kind of easy to start with and easy to follow.

IIFYM FTW... But some people need chicken and boiled rice to commit and do things right. Some people (like me) cant stop eating the good stuff.

+1

I recommend starting with a 5x5 or a starting strenght, kind of easy to start with and easy to follow.

IIFYM FTW... But some people need chicken and boiled rice to commit and do things right. Some people (like me) cant stop eating the good stuff.

The first time I heard about IIFYM (funny story about how that acronym was created) I immediately jumped to the incorrect conclusion that it was BS. The whole "I eat pop tarts and I'm ripped brah!" thing just seemed so ridiculous. It wasn't until I experimented off an on for several years with Paleo, very strict gluten free, dairy free, etc. type stuff that I came full circle and realized a few things.

As long as a person is eating relatively "healthy", ultimately it's all a matter of meeting the right macros for your desired goals, with the right calorie goal to meet those goals. Macros + Calories is the foundation everyone should really start from. My experience has been that, the vast majority of weight loss I achieved while on Paleo/gluten free diets was directly related to the calorie restrictions and little to nothing to do with "quality of food". When you're largely cutting out an entire food group (carbs), it's pretty easy to imagine that there's probably going to be a sizable calorie deficit as a result. The more important thing is knowing stuff like if you're getting enough protein to even build the muscle you seek, or if you have enough fat in your diet as too low of fat can be detrimental for physical and mental health.

Getting started can be intimidating, I remember thinking "I need to get in shape so that I can go to the gym..." You've just got to say f it, and go for it. If you aren't ready to get in there, just go for a walk. Pop in some headphones, maybe a couple mixergy interviews, walk for an hour a day, it makes a big difference. It's also great for your mind.

The first time I heard about IIFYM (funny story about how that acronym was created) I immediately jumped to the incorrect conclusion that it was BS. The whole "I eat pop tarts and I'm ripped brah!" thing just seemed so ridiculous. It wasn't until I experimented off an on for several years with Paleo, very strict gluten free, dairy free, etc. type stuff that I came full circle and realized a few things.

As long as a person is eating relatively "healthy", ultimately it's all a matter of meeting the right macros for your desired goals, with the right calorie goal to meet those goals. Macros + Calories is the foundation everyone should really start from. My experience has been that, the vast majority of weight loss I achieved while on Paleo/gluten free diets was directly related to the calorie restrictions and little to nothing to do with "quality of food". When you're largely cutting out an entire food group (carbs), it's pretty easy to imagine that there's probably going to be a sizable calorie deficit as a result. The more important thing is knowing stuff like if you're getting enough protein to even build the muscle you seek, or if you have enough fat in your diet as too low of fat can be detrimental for physical and mental health.

Exactly.

The conclusion I arrived to is that even doing IIFYM, you still need some type of 'healthy eating'. So getting your macos right will do enough to look and feel good...

Also a diet needs to be doable, eating chicken breasts every day is not factible on the long run if you're not living from your looks. So eating pizza here and there, some ice cream as dessert, etc won't do you no harm...

Life is life and you have to live it to the fullest. Going to the gym, doing sports and eating a stable diet is the way to go, but you can't stop enjoying life pleasueres, and eating is one of them...

green tea upon waking up. Dem antioxidants.

I recently gave up soda's. I'm only drinking water, coffee, and tea. No sugar added.
When I wake up I drink a pint of water to hydrate my brain. Coffee in the mornings. I've been drinking chamomile and green tea at night for the calm effect and the antioxidants. Good recommendations!

Back