Ghost CMS

Degree
Been looking at other CMS other than wordpress and stumbled on Ghost cms seems simple to use (not to install though) except for the fact it can't be hosted on most hosting companies out there (requires node.js). Anybody used it? they have tons of good looking templates on themeforest.

PS on a side note where's the search feature on the forum? couldn't find it

Last edited:
It looks like nothing more than a simplified WordPress. I have some experience with working with node.js, and in itself, node is incredible. However, I don't fully understand the need of having node for a CMS. Node is needed for real time updates, and a CMS can afford to have a slight delay when posting new content. Do they have hosting support with major hosting providers at this point, or do they only host it themselves? I ask, because you can get a quality hosting provider with WordPress for only dollars per month.

Never used it before. Is it a looking for a CMS that might be simpler yet more robust for larger scale sites. Would Ghost fill that need?

I think Ghost has it's space in the world of CMS but not in the IM space. It's an over engineered product and requires way more than writing, marketing and basic HTML skills to manage. Having said that, I really like the new coding horror site built with Ghost CMS.

Last edited:
Never used it before. Is it a looking for a CMS that might be simpler yet more robust for larger scale sites. Would Ghost fill that need?
Wordpress can be large scale. What make it seem like it doesn't is the bad coded theme, plugins added on top of it, the lack of caching and the shared host used.

Ghost CMS is the new anti Wordpress movement CMS. However WP for all of it's faults has one of the biggest and active userbases out there. You can find thousands of themes,plugins and almost any error you encounter someone else has already had and found a solution.

Having said that some times you want a static website and not having to deal with wordpress. I would recommend you check out picocms.

Do they have hosting support with major hosting providers at this point, or do they only host it themselves? I ask, because you can get a quality hosting provider with WordPress for only dollars per month.

you can host it with them or they recommend DigitalOcean or Amazon free vps.
I've tried the 14 day trial they have. There's not much option unless you know how to code. It is just a blogging platform not for full fledged websites.

Been looking at other CMS other than wordpress and stumbled on Ghost cms seems simple to use (not to install though) except for the fact it can't be hosted on most hosting companies out there (requires node.js). Anybody used it? they have tons of good looking templates on themeforest.

PS on a side note where's the search feature on the forum? couldn't find it
I'm building out a personal blog right now on ghost and have been very pleasantly surprised, best part of all there is still a lot of knowledge to be built up and propagated on how to best optimize these sites as they have yet to be beaten into oblivion like wp.

In my mind Ghost is like Medium of CMSes - super simplified, just for writing. If you are looking to do a traditional blog that's meant just for writing, I think it's perfectly valid choice. And because of NodeJS you'll safe a bit with the server because even if you get a lot of traffic, NodeJS will handle it much more efficiently than Wordpress' webserver+PHP combo. Of course you can get pretty decent performance from Nginx+PHP-FPM nowadays, especially with caching but setting that up is a bit above of average joe's skillset.

Personally for anything more complex than just writing I would still go with WP. The plugin ecosystem alone will be worth it because if you want Ghost to do something special, you better know how to code or a developer you can hire.

I'm taking a look at Ghost now. Thanks for turning me on to it guys. Looks like it might be fun for a few small projects I'm thinking of, which may end up being not much more than small outlet blogs for me to vent and rant with as opposed to revenue generation machines. LOL Sometimes it just feels great serving up those glasses of Haterade™.

I am seeing a recurring theme here, and it's one I've been dealing with myself over the past several months. Namely, what is the point of diminishing returns in terms of web development creativity, efficiency, and productivity. I actually think that's a topic that someone could make a REALLY solid thread around. I see a lot of cool CMS', flat file CMS', etc. and the OCD page speed fiend in me wants to take a hit off the page speed optimization crack pipe.....but then I start thinking, how far down the rabbit hole of "simplicity" am I going to go before I reach the point of actually stifling my productivity, wasted in manually coding pages, learning and using potentially proprietary markup, etc.? More recently, thanks to some BuSo members, I was introduced to Thrive Themes, which has been a god send for me and being super productive with putting together some simple WP sites, and all while still being fairly fast and light considering it is still WP.

I guess what I'm getting at here is, while my preference is naturally for the entirely manual, performance built machine, such as a Porsche 911 GT3 RS.....there are an increasing number of "cost effective" options out there (Z06) that could offer similar performance for potentially a lot less time and energy. What is the point of diminishing return?

Back