Getting the Cheapest Link Clicks on Facebook Ads as Possible

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
I'm preparing to venture back into Facebook Ads for the first time in 7 or 8 years, and I wasn't that deep into it then either.

Here's the skinny: I think if I can get clicks from the USA for less than 4¢ each, I can pretty much print money. I can bring in other countries like CA, UK, AUS, NZ with varying CPC's all under 3¢ as well.

I don't care if it's a male or female, the age, none of it. I just need to worry about the locations and the CPMs I get from them. That means I don't need to drop pixels or worry about lookalike audiences. It really doesn't matter who visits, just that they're engaged enough.

Rather than read a bunch of old blog posts about it, I figured I'd ask the experts here on BuSo, because I know you're out there. Here's my current understanding while acknowledging that it's likely outdated:
  • Higher CTR equals lower CPC
  • I should probably bid, in my case, only on mobile and when users are connected to wifi to avoid ad blockers or distracted users.
  • I should have broad demographics and let Facebook determine which sub-groups to aim it at, since they have the data and I just want the traffic.
  • I should set a price-per-click myself rather than let FB optimize the campaign spending. I hear they can figure out lower costs but I also can't let them spend 25¢ per click either.
  • Keep ads and ad sets live, even if you have to pause them, because copying them and starting fresh can increase CPC.
That's just the start, without bringing up conversation about the images and optimizing the text and all that. I figure once I understand the "technical" part I can split test ads easily.

Is there anyone here that talk to me like a noob and help a brother out?

Just a thought. If your site already gets traffic why not pixel visitors for a few weeks then target them on FB to bring them back?

I managed to get 0.02 clicks back in the day doing this.

What you already have planned is good. A couple other things that should help:

1. I know you said you don't care about male/female/age etc., but I'd recommend you look into those metrics after you have some data. It's likely you will find that certain segments outperform the others, sometimes surprisingly so. Might find that overall, with men, you're getting 10 - 20 cent clicks but with women, ages 18 - 45 you're get 1 - 3 cent clicks.
  2. Also take a look at the time of day that performs best. Again, there may be a huge difference in click price depending on the hour(s) of day. Check to see if this overlaps your best audience segments from point 1. If so, combine them and you can hit a home run really quick. Even if you can't combine them, you may find that separate segments from each these will still get you the price per click you're looking for. Since you'll be starting your campaign going broad by the time you narrow it down like this you should still have a pretty sizable audience but now at a MUCH better price. And that's before you even start split testing, tweaking images, etc.

Will I even be able to get a decent reach and number of clicks at such a small bid per click? FB was predicting maybe 50 clicks a day max, which isn't worth me messing with, honestly.

The only way I could influence that prediction was to ramp up the spend per day to huge numbers, in which case the resulting CPC was no longer in the range I set the ceiling for. The only way that makes sense is if they couldn't actually spend the whole budget.

You can spend 6 figures a day on Facebook getting clicks for that or less in those GEOs without much issue. There is a big BUT though on this.

The thing is you need to care who visits. Facebook has done an extremely good job of figuring out who is pretty worthless to advertise to because they are not gonna buy anything based on ads. If you bid on link clicks that is exactly who you will get and it will hugely impact revenue downstream.

Getting cheap clicks on Facebook gets easier every year really if all you want is clicks.

What generally is done is sites that already get a ton of traffic can get extra traffic from Facebook. This extra worthless traffic is a small enough % of the overall traffic it doesn't kill CPM rates. But all the arbitrage businesses that were based SOLEY on FB traffic have not been able to survive, the RPMs just get way too low pretty quickly.

traffic is cheap or a reason it doesn't spend.

what are you trying to do pump arbitrage? or pay per install by anychance

Back