Getting Post Exposure in Facebook Groups

Degree
I've been working on a site on and off for about a year and a half now. I niched down harder than I should have, and the only really promising leak sources I've found are a couple of 40K+ member FB groups. Sundays tend to be the best days to post there, so while I'm here trying to leak I thought I'd share a few things I've learned, and maybe get some feedback from others who do similar stuff. These aren't so much recommendations as they are tests and observations.

My main focus recently has been trying to get more exposure when I post to these large groups. It's easy for posts to get buried pretty quickly and not bring in any traffic. I've noticed that the first hour or so is pretty indicative of how well a post does in the long run. I've posted the same article multiple times over a long period of time, and sometimes it will take off one month and flop the next. If I can get some likes and engagement early on, I generally see much better results over the 24-48 hour lifespan of the post.

So I always go for the easy wins, that's a no brainer. Baity titles, a provocative linked image, things like that. I always use my actually post text to try and ask a question or relate it to some larger theme in the niche, rather than just posting the link. The goal there is to get people commenting. I have no real evidence to support this, but I feel like posts where more people are commenting tend to have a better chance of showing up in group members' feeds and getting their attention. So I'm always trying to keep the conversation going - if someone comments, follow up and try and ask questions or add ideas that keep people talking. I like to keep doing this in the main thread as I feel that it's more visible, but if another thread starts as a reply to a main comment, hell, keep that one going too.

You can't post in a group as a page, but I always try to share my post to a group from my site's FaceBook page to get the extra exposure and make it a bit easier for people to find and like my page. I also used to go through and like the comments as my page to try and pull some people out of the group, but it doesn't look like FaceBook lets you do this anymore. Or maybe you can only do it in open groups (I'm currently testing on something I posted to a closed group - when I try and switch to use my page, I just get a loading spinner).

Another funny story - knowing how batshit people get over politics, I decided to testing out the effect it had on engagement about a week ago. In my post intro, I added in a small, politically-charged line about Trump, about halfway through a ~150 word post. I honestly didn't even expect people to read far enough to get to it, but boy was I wrong. Maybe half the comments were about that one little line, everything from "I have no idea what Trump has to do with this" to "Your politics is showing and it diminishes your message". People got pissed, but that post went on to bring in ~3,000 views over two days.

So anyway, there you go. Hope you got some ideas from that. Anyone else have any insights or strategies about leaking from Facebook Groups?

Getting engagement on your comment is definitely ranking factors of the posts in the FB groups. Trying to stir some emotions with your posts is always a great thing, I sometimes look for popular videos on YouTube that are related to the stuff I am about to post, analyze the top comments which got the most engagement and rehash them or if suitable just copy them and add my stuff around them.

Аs regards to the small and less active groups, I try not to ignore them, because you know that in every online community the majority of the people are lurkers, so when you post something in a less active group, your post stays on the top for far longer, and it easily gets seen by people who check the group. After all, that's real estate.

Back