Getting Facebook likes without sidebar

bernard

BuSo Pro
Degree
The traditional method of getting Facebook likes, to my knowledge, is to have a sidebar with a Like Box.
I don't use sidebars on most of my pages and posts. I wonder, what would be the best way to farm likes?
I've considered:
  1. Bottom horizontal bar
  2. Exit popup
  3. Action popup (on second pageview, scroll percentage etc)
  4. Fixed floating sidebar (with only Facebook like box)
I'm also worried about losing conversions and CTR on any of those methods, which is why I don't have it in the first place.

In my opinion/experience, most of the likes you'll get on your FB page will come from the FB side of things, rather then from the website. I wouldn't worry about the sidebar at all, mobile users probably don't see it anyways. I stopped using the sidebar FB box because it didn't seem worth the extra server calls to get an extra like once in a blue moon. YMMV so it could be worth testing, but I'd imagine the other methods you mentioned would generate more likes than the sidebar either way.

My thought process to remove it was that I can buy a like from FB for x cents, so if 1 out of every xxxx people click the sidebar like button, is it really worth giving everyone else a worse experience on the site? And out of all the places someone could click on any given page, the FB like button was probabally the least valuable to me anyways.

The overwhelming majority of likes on my FB pages come from FB itself (pages being recommended, content getting shared, S4S with other pages, etc...) I like to keep that a one way street, I want to extract from FB instead of feeding them. I want people to be on Facebook, then to leave Facebook to visit my site and do things on my site, instead of sending people from my site to Facebook.

I have a similar experience to Potatoe's: people rarely click in your sidebar FB box, most of my fans come from me posting on various FB groups or from paid campaigns. I'm currently running a campaign that results in approximately $0.05 per like of my FB page (US audience).
In my case, the box is more there for social proof than to capture new fans.

I have used Boost to get views on articles, which was quite effective in doing that, but I assume that you'd select the option "get likes for your page" and then Facebook will put a prominent like button on the Boost ad right?

Back