For GeneratePress Owners - Do you make a child theme for it?

Degree
Hello Dear,

I'm new here, although you may know me from another forum because I am steamy spicy famous.

I'm not WordPress backend savvy with this so I'm asking.

Is it mandatory to make a child theme for Generate Press?
I'm on GeneratePress Premium

Thanks,
Josh

Josh, I've used GeneratePress very little but have looked at the documentation quite a bit out of interest. It seems to provide tons of hooks and functions that I think you could get away with most everything you want without creating a child theme for it. The only reason I could see needing to do that (in this case only, not for other themes) is if you're going to start editing template files (rather than using all the hooks they provide) like changing the main Wordpress loops around, etc.

Yes, child theme, isn't that standard by now?

I haven't worked much with GeneratePress itself, however, if you will be making custom changes to the template itself and not just using the options they provide you.
By this, anything done to the core theme files.
It would be in your best interest for a Child Theme, due to any "Theme Updates" by the developer will result in removing your custom changes you made on the file.

Josh, I've used GeneratePress very little but have looked at the documentation quite a bit out of interest. It seems to provide tons of hooks and functions that I think you could get away with most everything you want without creating a child theme for it. The only reason I could see needing to do that (in this case only, not for other themes) is if you're going to start editing template files (rather than using all the hooks they provide) like changing the main Wordpress loops around, etc.
Oh then it seems I don't necessarily need to - thanks for this!

Yes, child theme, isn't that standard by now?
I honestly don't know - it's my first ever site and GeneratePress was my plugin - was torn between creating a child theme or not since others recommend not to anymore (Just on GP)

I don't do customizations as well on the backend

Oh then it seems I don't necessarily need to - thanks for this!

I honestly don't know - it's my first ever site and GeneratePress was my plugin - was torn between creating a child theme or not since others recommend not to anymore (Just on GP)

I don't do customizations as well on the backend
Use the built in GP hooks or a plug-in like ‘Code Snippets’ for the customizations you need right now that aren’t available through the theme.

No need to over complicate things for your first site, make publishing content the focus!

Back