Finding the average volume of a product sold per year?

Nat

Degree
This may be a dumb question. But, is there any tool or way to estimate the average sales/demand for a product? I found a product niche with a really good keyword. Its got 50,000 monthly searches for the product name. The competition in the SERPs is really low. However, before I try to build a simple site around the keyword/niche and put time into traffic leaking it / SEO I want to know if people really buy this product. I checked the monthly searches for buy {product} and its only around 100. I'm not sure if this is a really bad sign, or if its fairly common that people simply look up a product name instead of adding "buy." I was thinking that if there was some way to measure, say, the number of {product} sold on Amazon that I could get a better grasp of the profitability of the niche.

I know that testing through PPC is an option, but I don't have a website set-up (or an eCommerce site that I could add the product to) and you can't direct link PPC to Amazon.

Check out Unicorn Smasher (Free) or Jungle Scout, they both are browser extensions that overlay your search in Amazon and give you a monthly revenue estimate of each item in the listing. Jungle Scout is a little bit more accurate but, I think Unicorn Smasher would be good for what you're looking for.

Check out Unicorn Smasher (Free) or Jungle Scout, they both are browser extensions that overlay your search in Amazon and give you a monthly revenue estimate of each item in the listing. Jungle Scout is a little bit more accurate but, I think Unicorn Smasher would be good for what you're looking for.

Oh man, I remember reading about Unicorn Smasher and completely forgot about it. Thanks for that. I even googled some things and just didn't get what I was hoping for. Probably because I wasn't googling with 'amazon' but just in general.

The estimated revenue for the top 10 products averaging out to be high 20,000s. I'm sure it all depends on either how much commission you're getting through Amazon or how much of a cut you can make dropshipping the item, but does that sound about right?

Yeah, figure the revenue number is what the sellers are making, minus Amazon's 15%, tack on additional fees if they are FBA. If you knew the commission table for that item it could give you an idea of your potential by being an Amazon Affiliate. Of course if you are dropshipping from a vendor you could get a better percentage.

I've seen it list Amazon monthly revenue numbers between $2K and $1.2M. All depends on the product.

Reactions: Nat
I've tested Jungle Scout on a business that is doing $30M+ a year selling products across a broad range of categories on Amazon with many SKUs... this is sales data I actually have access to in the Amazon seller account. When I compare it to the Jungle Scout's "sales estimates" they are so absurd this tool is useless. The creators seem to be doing a great job promoting it though because I come across a lot of people talking about it and recommending it.

OP, is this product actually sold on Amazon? If so, the best and only way to get true competitor's sales data on Amazon is to do the +999 inventory trick.

Note: This only works when stock levels are 999 or less. If there are 1000+ units it will display as 999 and you won't be able to track any units sold.

1. Add product to cart and head to checkout
2. Select "Change quantities or delete"
3. Enter 999 in quantity box (highest quantity allowed) and click update.
4. If the seller has under 999 units it will state: "This seller only has "X" amount available.
5. Now check it again the same time every day for about a week and see what the amount states each day. You'll be able to see their exact sales.

There are tools like fbatoolkit.com that will track this data for you automatically (for a monthly fee)

That's a cool technique, I imagine that would really only really work with a single seller item. If you have multiple sellers rotating in the buy box that would be difficult to get a good read. Would FBAToolkit take that into account?

I've tested Jungle Scout on a business that is doing $30M+ a year selling products across a broad range of categories on Amazon with many SKUs... this is sales data I actually have access to in the Amazon seller account. When I compare it to the Jungle Scout's "sales estimates" they are so absurd this tool is useless. The creators seem to be doing a great job promoting it though because I come across a lot of people talking about it and recommending it.

OP, is this product actually sold on Amazon? If so, the best and only way to get true competitor's sales data on Amazon is to do the +999 inventory trick.

Note: This only works when stock levels are 999 or less. If there are 1000+ units it will display as 999 and you won't be able to track any units sold.

1. Add product to cart and head to checkout
2. Select "Change quantities or delete"
3. Enter 999 in quantity box (highest quantity allowed) and click update.
4. If the seller has under 999 units it will state: "This seller only has "X" amount available.
5. Now check it again the same time every day for about a week and see what the amount states each day. You'll be able to see their exact sales.

There are tools like fbatoolkit.com that will track this data for you automatically (for a monthly fee)

Thanks for the excellent response, and what an awesome trick!

That's a cool technique, I imagine that would really only really work with a single seller item. If you have multiple sellers rotating in the buy box that would be difficult to get a good read. Would FBAToolkit take that into account?

Yes, it will track multiple merchants for that item.

Thanks for sharing that!

I completely understand your frustration with JungleScout but there isn't a single competitive analysis tool that would give you 100% accurate numbers! They all scrape and get their data differently and you should always combine and cross reference the data with other tools to get AS ACCURATE DATA AS POSSIBLE. Nothing will give you accurate estimates as having access to the accounts themselves.

Doing the manual search like you suggested is great - but time is money and its simply not possible to straight up be doing these searches all day. Then again, I can pay a programmer to create a tool for this, but that is even more time consuming and more $$ spent.

I personally have accounts with multiple competitive analysis tools: Semrush, keywordspy, moat, etc.. and if I compare their data to my actual client data - they ALL suck! BUT if you cross reference their data, compare it and use your own knowledge - then everything becomes crystal clear.

Tools are there to lead you in the right direction and if you are over dependant on 1 tool - your on a slippery slope. I personally use Google trends + JS + SemRush + Google Shopping Data + Buzzsumo to get ideas. lol

I have been using JS for less than a few months so am not going to say they are the best - but I have not found anything that is more affordable or provides that amount of data sorted and organized. I tried AMZShark (not sure if your familiar with it) but it didn't provide what I was looking for.

Looking into Unicorn Smasher and FBAToolkit - any other tools that we can add to the arsenal?

Back