Fidel Castro: Did he kill the 'slavery mentalilty' many Caribbean nations have today?

GNews

White Hat Genius
BuSo Pro
Degree
So.

I have Cuban heritage (from before Castro party) and live in a Latin Caribbean area today. As an educated, minority American, when I live here now I see what to me looks of post-slavery shackles. Many countries are still colonized by the people who enslaved them (before slavery's 'end'.. literallly.. famliies still own staples businesses of islands pretty much) and put other nations' political figures in control of the island and some go as far as to militarize/police islands (not allowing the local inhabitants military or police personel guns).

On top of this, while most of the islands majority is people of color... You will notice, television billboards over-promote people who do not look like the island inhabitants (Caucasion). Novelas for instance, they look like they are from Europe but in Spanish.

And inferiority complex is very distinct. Kids (and a smaller percentage of adults) on many islands today are even bleaching their skin to feel whiter. Girls wear weave at rates that blew my mind (living in urban America most of my life, i thought I had seen it before.. but NOT EVEN CLOSE). Call it the "Sammy Sosa complex" i guess.

Many people will deny this. However, I could post a page of girls I know telling me how they have to be to get a career opportunity in these struggling islands, where wealthy non-native families suck the money dry. At the same time, I'm a capitalist.....I'm not into ighting for people who don't fight for themself. I feel that's how you waste your life. Focus on yourself first and be an example you know?

For anyone that's been to Cuba...... What's been your experience? I've heard only that the island was the safest.... more educated people..... and while there is a lack of some things we take for granted, it's not what's promoted via US media. From what I've heard and people I've met, I've noticed they are different. They tend to come off a little more educated and self confident.

A standard of many islands.. if you're white.. women want you more and thieves target you more because you're seen as rich without speaking a word. "LOVE" you more.. different thing. Good luck if you're trying.....

The good thing for me, I can blend in.. wear diamonds... and nobody thinks a thing until they know me or get close. And even then, they doubt it because I blend in and most people wear fake jewelry. lol

What's your experiences in the Caribbean? Dom Republic.. Haiti. ABC islands.....Bahamas.. Cuba..St Maarten.. etc

inspired by:
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/03/americas/fidel-castro-santiago/index.html

So quick question.

I've been looking around the area for a place to vacation and possibly as a 2nd home.

Research online is so crazy.

I've started looking on the "other side" mostly at Roatan, Honduruas and Ambergris Caye, Belize. But before I focused on those, I was looking at getting a 2nd passport in Dominica and then possibly starting a business in Anguilla as an IBC, and living in either Puerto Rico or St. Thomas.

Just thoughts, haven't done anything serious yet.

Have you any experience or thoughts on that? I know its a long shot, but just asking since you put this in here.

So quick question.

I've been looking around the area for a place to vacation and possibly as a 2nd home.

Research online is so crazy.

I've started looking on the "other side" mostly at Roatan, Honduruas and Ambergris Caye, Belize. But before I focused on those, I was looking at getting a 2nd passport in Dominica and then possibly starting a business in Anguilla as an IBC, and living in either Puerto Rico or St. Thomas.

Just thoughts, haven't done anything serious yet.

Have you any experience or thoughts on that? I know its a long shot, but just asking since you put this in here.

South American I don't know much. Been to Costa Rica & Colombia.. both really nice.. Colombia is like living in the United States.... economical for Americans but very comfortable and highly developed.

Honduras I know has dangerous places. Not the "speculative" dangerous that's all folklore.. like much of the Caribbean (where a machete is still revered) but real gangs, really aggressive... well funded.... like MS13 and Mara 18....I'm sure there's safe places but I'd visit there and get a feel for the energy first.

Anguilla is costly. That's becoming a place in line with St Barths from what I've seen/heard. I prefer St Maarten. It's still more economical, english - french - Spanish friendly..... good dating scene.... and you can fly many places reasonably as it's a major tourist destination for all. Anguilla and St Barths are A-B lister playgrounds.. which means you will need to spend.

Dominica just got destroyed by a Hurricane shortly ago...... Beautiful place and people though.

Puerto Rico.... beautiful island. With money you can make it work .

The bad, they have a economic depression issue. It's an island the US has pretty much made a playground with no political influence nor recipient of help. Many don't know that island was bombed by the United States just a few decades ago (back when the US was killing off all the islands that opposed the US will) and the bombs contaminated a important piece of the island.

St Thomas..... i haven't been.. they seem to do well though economically. It's a very slow pace of living.

Most developed islands I'd say: DR, PR, and Cuba (though it declined with embargo act).
Don't know where Jamaica rates in that....

The nicest, laid back islands: Curacao, St Maarten, DR......... some say Curacao has gotten a little worse but nothing happens on any these islands outside of Puerto Rico & maybe Jamaica (based off the Shower Posse stories), that compares to the United States.................

I thought some might appreciate these.

I almost wanted to delete this post b/c it's somewhat political but here's some great things for thought while traveling.

Back