Fed up of Macbook Pro

Degree
I bought a 13" Macbook Pro early this year/late last year. The latest one. 8 GB Ram and 256 SSD

I have been using macbook for a while. had a White Macbook, graduated to a Macbook pro, then started using a Macbook air as more and more stuff got outsourced.

And now I got another Macbook pro as my air was getting older and battery needed "servicing"

But damn, the new macbook pro is so slow. I rarely ever saw the rainbow wheel on the air, but damn, I wake up the new macbook pro and it welcomes me with a wheel and It keeps giving me the wheel once in a while. A lot of the time chrome would hang up.

Do I need to so some set up, unclutter my Hard Drive?

I am at a loss.

Usually the Google Chrome Helper hogs a CPU but it was never this bad on the macbook air with lesser RAM and Lesser HDD.

Any idea what is wrong?
What some best practices. I know a lot of you use Macbook.

Has Apple gone to the shitters?

The Ipad etc do still look awesome and the iPhone still seem great.
But toatlly disappointed with my New Macbool Pro

Open Activity Monitor and see what’s taking all your resources. What about the free space? If you’re low you could have performance issues.

Try tuning a maintenance app like Onyx or Clean My Mac

Mostly it is google chrome and that Chrome helper but it is not like this on the macbook air

Chrome is the problem, doesn’t matter how much RAM your computer has it will eat it up. Each new tab is a new forked process. In theory it’s smart so one tab will not crash everything, but in practice websites keep downloading data in the background for AD CPMs and all sorts of nonsense. If you leave some major news outlets open like CNN, Fox, and MSNBC for an hour more than a million http connection will be opened in the timeframe? Wtf.

Websites are supposed to open and load and do nothing else, at least in theory. In practice the asshole owners need to squeeze every penny out pf users and keep downloading ADs, hence why you have to close tabs.

Try Firefox for a day and see if your issue goes away, its should.

It's definitely Chrome, it hogs a lot of resources, especially when it's running for a long time. I have 64 gb ram in my iMac, and still Chrome and Docker Desktop, once they run for a long time, hogs a lot of it.

Firefox used to be a resource hog too, good to hear they cleaned it up.

I use Brave Browser, which I think is built on Chrome/Chromium as well, and it does get slow.

╔════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ═══╗

~ ~ ~ Safari Gang Represent ~ ~ ~

╚════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ═══╝

^ I was just going to say why not use Safari? It's the Apple browser and works really well for the majority of things. I've tried other browsers but nothing beats Safari for me.

Chrome has the best dev tools, Nuxt/Vue plugin etc. Also easy switching between profiles. LastPass.

Depends on what kind of tasks you are doing but with only 8 gigs of RAM you are gonna have a hard time for anything other than a few browsers tabs and some word docs.

triple the ram if you can.

otherwise if portability isn’t a factor just build a hackintosh and throw 32-64GB of ram.

Waterfox is a good browser, like Firefox but better.

Do you still require Chrome to use FB Power Editor? Always disturbed me slightly why that is.

Do you have the dual core MacBook Pro?

I got a M1 14" Macbook Pro in Dec...

Used it lightly as I am still a PC/Windows person, but I've slowly bought all Mac/Apple in the last few months ( Iphone 13 Pro Max, AirPod Pro, M1 iPad, Apple Watch, etc ) and now I am trying to learn the ecosystem and such and move over to just all Mac/Apple.

One thing I had is, why don't "cables" just work with Apple?

For instance, to connect my Macbook to an external monitor, I can do Display Port, HDMI, or USB-C. I have a ton of USB-C to USB-C and USB-C to HDMI or USB-C to Display Port ( and all kinds of adapters in between ), but after half a day of trying cables and reboots and settings, ONLY 1 of my 50+ cables actually works ( ended up USB-C to USB-C, which I tried at least 14 different USB-C to USB-C brands/lengths ).

Why can't "shit just connect and work"?

I had the same issue with an external MIC I have when connecting to my Iphone 13 Pro Max.

I mean, I never had this issue with PC. I think Apple is just trying to be difficult on purpose.

Apple has some kind of “Apple MFi Certified” crap where if it’s not that, it’s not going to connect well or stay connected. It even effects phone charging cables. It’s truly a nightmare. The EU is coming down on them for it all, especially trying to force them to use USB-C instead of lightning.

Back