FAIL: Gmail Mic Drop April Fools Day Prank

CCarter

Final Boss ®
BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Digital Strategist
Degree
HARD FAIL.

Google is known for their April Fools (April 1st) Pranks, but I guess in an attempt to one-up Microsoft's TayAi failure they decided to add a gif to emails being sent out - this particular gif:

xFMcHWM.gif

This is really a UX/UI problem, AND lack of thought on Google's part. The problem is people have instincts when pressing buttons based on the UI placement. As you can imagine you probably don't want to send an email when looking for a job or to your boss with a mic drop... Here we go:

This is how it works:

idLB3d9.gif

This is what ended up happening:

11XS1Po.jpg

--

ctQpN3j.jpg

--

0uZfYnd.jpg

--

Direct link to The support forum that has all these complaints: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topicsearchin/gmail/"mic$20drop"|sort:date

And then:

"I did a little testing: Any email sent with "Mic Drop" is immediately and IRREVERSIBLY muted. Replies skip the inbox, with no way to unmute."
Sauce: https://twitter.com/waxpancake/status/715799692840464385

So users can't even reply to those emails bakc and state SORRY! LOLWTF.

--

Google's official response:

Well, it looks like we pranked ourselves this year. Due to a bug, the MicDrop feature inadvertently caused more headaches than laughs. We’re truly sorry. The feature has been turned off. If you are still seeing it, please reload your Gmail page.

Article on this: Google reverses Gmail April 1 prank after users mistakently put GIFs into important emails.

--

This is AGAIN another example of a large corporation NOT THINKING. I believe a large part is due to the overall atmosphere of Silicon Valley to not take customer support seriously. Good luck trying to get a response from Facebook or Google or anyone for your small advertising budget. Good luck trying to get any support or response in a timely manner. It's like my issue with Protonail's Keylord redis GUI. I STILL haven't gotten a response from the company.

You want to be in business? Make money for the long run? How about talking to your customers, even the smallest guy since every big guy had to start somewhere and they'll appreciate the time you took to talk to them.

If Gmail's development team talked to their customers more they'd realize a majority of them use Gmail for business. So in the brainstorming meeting for this feature, SOMEONE should have stepped in and said "hey wait a minute guys, is this a good idea? A ton of our customers use this for business and they might get confused."

A mic drop is a bit of a "f*** off, this is the last response", how often are Gmail employees sending emails which need mic drops in order to come up with this idea? Maybe they are sending them to their customers who they don't want to bother really replying to. It's a lot easier to just not reply instead of sending bad energy into the universe on your behalf.

By the end of the day we will all be reading how this was all faked and this joke is on us for believing any of it ever happened.

Fuck Google, always fucking up your business one way or another. Im salty this morning, I hate "April fools"

Last edited:
By the end of the day we will all be reading how this was all faked and this joke is on us for believing any of it ever happened.
You know what struck me - I remember see this at 8:40am, and I'm on the East Coast right now, some of the reports had people in California sending email (so what is that 3, 4, or 5 hours behind, I don't know); I was thinking that's a bit early to be sending emails. But then I considered the rest of the world is already running throughout the day. So you know what, you might be right, this whole thing might be a prank since I don't know a single person that uses gmail or saw the mic drop button, so there is no way for me to verify this, yet.

If fake: some email service just pulled a massive reverse traffic leak on Google :wink:

Back