Facebook will make it easier to ignore those viral posts you hate seeing

built

//
BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Degree
I thought this was quite interesting.

Facebook is tweaking its News Feed algorithm again.

This time, the social network is making adjustments to make it easier for people to ignore certain types of viral posts that may appear in their feeds.

The change is happening due to a relatively new type of feedback the social network has been collecting called "story surveys." The feature, which Facebook says is surfaced to "ten of thousands" of users a day, asks users to choose between two viral stories.

"With this update, if a significant amount of people tell us they would prefer to see other posts more than that particular viral post, we’ll take that into account when ranking, so that viral post might show up lower in people’s feeds in the future, since it might not actually be interesting to people," Facebook explains in a "News Feed FYI" post detailing the changes.

image-2.png

This isn't the first time Facebook has tweaked its News Feed to combat hoaxes. The company added a new feature earlier this year that allows people to mark posts as false. When a post is marked as false by enough people, it will appear less often in News Feeds and will include a warning that users have reported it for containing false information. The network also previously cracked down on clickbait in News Feed.

http://mashable.com/2015/12/04/facebook-news-feed-viral-posts/#y6_udps7aPqz

Not using fb anymore but this seems very nice for the active users

Not using fb anymore but this seems very nice for the active users
I wonder if this means advertisers will have to pay more to reach the same audience

Don't think so. But from what I am hearing from others they have been banning advertiser for this very reason. If the ad and landing page have a mismatch they may axe you.

I'd prefer them to remove mark's face from the news feed's right side for the accounts i'm warming up.

Back