Facebook Featured Img Not Appearing - Help!

stackcash

I Sell Words
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
A bit of a newb question.

We launched a "grammar tip of the week" category on the blog and are creating a nice featured image for each one.

Here's an example: http://wordagents.com/when-to-use-a-colon/

I made sure to create the image based on FB guidelines and used their Object Debugger (https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/og/object/) to ensure the image was being scrapped properly from our site.

But, when I go to post the article, the featured image is blank white. Here's an example:
7Z9MgNQ.png

Any ideas on why this is happening and how to fix it?

Have you tried posting it to see if it shows up once it's live? If the image is showing up in the debugger, you should be good to go, even if the preview isn't showing up when you're creating a post.

As Potatoe said, if it's showing in the debugger then likely is fine. Sometimes Facebook acts a bit wacky with the images. Sometimes you can get around it by saving the post as a Draft in Facebook. Then going into Publishing Tools > Drafts. Click the Draft and it will give a preview. If looks good, just publish. For some reason things in "Drafts" tend to work correctly when other sections do not.

You can also schedule the post for a future date. Then preview it, and if looks good hit Publish.

Looks like it works fine when I try to share it to Facebook, using the share link in your article. You should be good! I can provide a screenshot if you would like, but I'd say it's working exactly how you want it to.

Make sure you don't have an AD Blocker enabled; it might be the reason you can't see the images since AD Blockers look for the name of div layers and disables them from being displayed.

There is Facebook image graph code you can add to your header to dynamically pull the featured image URL. It's like schema for social media. Yoast has an option for it if you enable it.

Thanks guys.

The post sat for about 3 hours without a featured image displaying on FB.... then all of the sudden, it worked.

Patience isn't my strong suit.

Also, Facebook's caching, when it comes to this, is terrible. There's times I've had to rerun a post 3-4 times in the debugger, waiting a few seconds each time, before the damn image will show up. I've experienced this as well when updating with a new image, and Facebook still keeps the old one cached for awhile.

It's maddening, because it can really easily lead a person to "what if" and attempt problem-solving themselves to death, before realizing, "It's FINE. Facebook is just slow."

You can also use the "Page Posts" section of the power editor to upload any image you want to use for the post as well, can also add a CTA button if you do it that way as well.

Back