Expired Domain Pages, Posts and Permalinks...

Degree
Whether your using an expired domain as a money site or a PBN, making sure links don't drop is part of the benefit of using expireds.

My question is, for best results, are people rebuilding every URL on those sites in order to preserve links and DR or just those with relevant, high powered DR URLs? Regardless of whether doing all or some, is there anything in WP recommended to make this process faster?

If not rebuilding, are you redirecting all those URLs back to the homepage? If so, is there a recommended plugin for doing so? I previously did this, but wasn't sure if the 404 is a better approach?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Not to the homepage! Goog sees it as "soft 404" as they call it, and may penalize your site if they find it.

My algo is simple. I import all urls with meaningful backlinks from Ahrefs, Majestic and whatever you can get; then i open excel and build there a simple 2 column table - in the 1st column i paste all those old urls, and in the 2nd column i put urls of pages of your new site: against each old url i assign the most similar new url. And when it comes to weaker old urls and if there are hundreds of them, then i can just drag new urls randomly against old ones.

Done, then save it as .csv and import into Redirection plugin. Also Rank Math now can replace the Redirection plugin.

Not to the homepage! Goog sees it as "soft 404" as they call it, and may penalize your site if they find it.
Are those reported in Search Console? I assume not

I find this is more important to do if you want to redirect the domain. In that case, I would recommend recreating the urls with related content before redirecting them on a page by page basis.

I get sick of answering this question but I want to throw my hat in the ring:

You can 301 redirect old URLs to new destination URLs immediately. You don't need to recreate the old URL's exactly like they were or post the same content till Google re-trusts it or whatever people say. Google already trusts it. It's already indexed most likely and trusted. Just 301 it, put up relevant content on the new URL, and move on.

And @Golan is absolutely right about the soft 404's. You do not want to take the easy route and 301 all URLs to the homepage. That's what PBN people do and that's part of how they get busted and get their juice annulled.

It's very simple:
  1. Get a list (Ahrefs is good) of all the old URLs with links.
  2. Sort them by quantity of links.
  3. All the ones with 1 and 2 links, if the links are trash just ignore them.
  4. All the remaining URLs with good links need to be redirected.
  5. Prepare content for the new destination URLs that very closely matches the same topic.
  6. Redirect them and start publishing new content and getting new links like normal.
Everything else is a waste of time... all that talk about "Rebuild the site exactly like it was by scraping the Wayback Machine and blah blah". Think about it logically. The site already existed in that state. If it's still indexed then Google still thinks it exists in that state. Zero reason to rebuild it.

For all they know or care, the same owner redesigned the site and moved it to a new server and changed the URL structures around. Happens every single day with legit businesses. They don't try to trick Google by rebuilding their own sites from the Wayback Machine. They just move to new servers and redesign. Basically I'm saying Gurus are retarded and sell you convoluted ideas so you just buy their PBN links instead, etc.

Back