Experiences with push notifications?

Degree
Hey BuSo, looking to build my list of subscribers through email, and have come across using push notifications as an alternative. Has anyone got any experience of using push notifications with their sites?

I started looking into push notifications for web and apps but haven't really had a chance to experiment with it other than setting things up. OneSignal is pretty good if you're not sure what to use, so I would recommend looking into them. I wish I could give you more details but that project kind of got put on hold after starting a new job.

I tried it yesterday with pushcrew. My site is on http so native optin isn't an option. It'll work most userfriendly for you on https.

I have it turned off right now, so no subscriptions yet.

Would be interested too - as a site reader I personally hate it when that prompt comes up.

I personally hate it when that prompt comes up.
Me too and I think a lot of us are that way but there's more of the general users that they actually work and find them useful out there.

I was contacted recently to do some marketing and a new website for a restaurant that uses push notification for their customers that register. The small ass restaurant with mostly locals as their regulars and a large portion of their profit, has over 1,000 registered members that haven't cancelled or text "STOP" to be removed.

I can only speak from the standpoint of a user. I subscribed via a site I visit. I actually prefer the subscribe experience over something like a full takeover popup. The 'native' browser feel is nice - at least on the one I subbed to.

I found them popping up when I opened my browser, kind of invasive. Compared to subbing via email which gets checked on my terms. I did click through once, but ended up un-subbing.

I hate these things

Agreed.

They get SUPER annoying after the 100th website throws a pop up in my face. It's not like FB or Twitter, where I can click a button to sub or enter my email in an opt-in. It forces you to stop and close the damn thing out.

99% of them do it the moment the page is loaded! I don't even have a chance to browse their website let alone read their material first. That part irriates me the most.

It's just too intrusive and badly timed.

I can't see how the avg consumer gets it... If I clicked "yes" to subscribe, personally I wouldn't even know where to manage each sub or turn them off. All the webmasters have jumped on this like it's the next best thing to sliced bread but on the consumer side.. No one is talking about it? I haven't seen any press on the subject, or any big announcements aimed at educating consumers..

I dont even accept them. I hit the X in the upper corner and I somehow get auto subbed to their service now and shit pops up on my desktop all the time and I cant get rid of them. I never accept them but they keep installing/pushing to me

If there's a way to have the push notification option show up for the 3rd or 4th time you visit a website, that's way better.

Shit is annoying when its a brand new website IDGAF about.

I don't know why sites still use these, maybe they've gotten better, but back when they this was new and only avail on Safari iirc, people never even clicked the notifications after subscribing. Like, 1 in 10,000 or something would click, the stats were abysmal. And that was for a site with actual fans, people who would look forward to their our articles. So you're annoying thousands and thousands of people for 1 or 2 extra clicks.

I deny them all and wouldn't interact with them. I prefer the RSS Feed method. But I can see the value in building a "2nd list," if not for another way to try to get a higher valuation later when liquidating.

From what I see, there are more and more websites that use push notifications now. Any recent experience with them?

I've been using push notifications for about 18 months as an additional revenue stream. I currently have a list of about 5k subscribers. I send daily pushes for CPA offers and am generally able to earn $0.30-$0.40 per sub per month.

I've also been sending pushes for a friend who has several smaller but much more targeted lists (about 1500 total subs across 3 lists). I'm able to get closer to $0.50 per sub per month from his lists.

2 years later, what do you guys think of push notifications in 2020? Did the market change? Do you use them on your websites successfully?

Last edited:
I haven't tried them, but a lot of people hate them (myself included) since they are intrusive.

I "feel" like you can get similar results (less intrusive) using some of the push functionality in some of the chat apps. Not sure what the technical terms are for that functionality, but they are less intrusive and typically show a message to the user once they land/login to your website (with new posts, announcements, etc..)

Back