Experience buying domains at auction?

Degree
I'm looking to setup a couple of new sites and I was wondering what your guys take on whether or not I should get a brand new domain, or try and find an existing domain for auction?

I've always gone with new domains to start new sites, but I wonder if that's a bad strategy considering the sandbox new sites get put into.

The answer seems obvious (get an existing domain through auction), but I figured I'd ask and see if you guys have some more insight on the matter and if there is anything further I should think about before purchasing an existing domain.

It certainly helps to start off with an existing domain that is aged and has been indexed for a few years with a good backlink profile. Definitely not a requirement though. A fresh domain can compete in the SERPs with the right links.

Hey backwoods thanks for your reply.

I'm wondering, is a good backlink profile an absolute requirement, though?

For instance, do you think I would be in a better place if I bought a cheap site on Flippa that only has a few backlinks, but that has been around for a year or so, than I would if I bought a brand new domain?

A head start is always nice but the trade is you don't get the brand name you want. You need to check trademarks and all that. If all is clear, see if you can recover good content too.

No, backlinks aren't a must. Neither is age. Otherwise we wouldn't dominate with freshly registered domains. Make sure this is a head start and not a replacement for hard work.

Alright, thanks for the advice. And good to know on the fresh domains. Will try out the process with an aged domain this time around and will work for quicker results on the next new domain.

Don't some Domains drop their age and are register as a newly created domains after the auctions? I've also had some others keep their age but it depends on the registrar's policies.

There is a 3rd option and that is buying a domain from a broker, those won't drop age but you're paying a premium and whether is it worth it or not is up to you. I just bought a domain from a broker on Friday for my niche, it is very brandable and from 1999. The only reason that I bought it is that I'll be able to do good outreach with it to reporters and bloggers.

I would go with which ever domain is more "brandable" if you are looking at this for a long-term project.

New and old domains have their pros and contras. If you take old domain with good backlink profile, you most probably have a solid outrun over a brand new domain, in terms of indexing, authority etc. From another hand, you cant just choose a name, etc.

Back