DR 0 -> 60 w/ this tactic. Seeking Explanation

Degree
Stumbled upon a blog network that uses this tactic of building links via google's properties: googe.ne, google.co.jp, etc.

This tactic provides dofollows and has skyrocketed his DR.

Here's a photo of his backlink profile. Can someone shed light as to how it's happening and whether this kind of manipulation is effective? (This guy runs a blog, boosts DR to make his metrics look good, n sells backlinks)

Screen-Shot-2020-10-18-at-10-32-00-AM.png

It's those "this link leads to an external site" type of PHP redirects or whatever. I'm sure the HTTP headers have a nofollow in them that Ahrefs isn't picking up. They aren't legit backlinks by any means. They aren't fooling Google, just Ahrefs and their buyers. You get no ranking boost from this.

When you can find platforms like Google's, you can use all of their domains to generate a list of URLs. I'm making this up because I can't think of a place where I can find an example but it's like google.com/?external=https://yoursite.com which loads a kind of temporary, server generated interstitial page that is a buffer between them and the external link where they can give a warning like "you're leaving our site and we can't condone what's on the other side, you'll be redirected automatically in 3 seconds".

People do this with "stats" sites and all kinds of others where the pages are automatically generated (and not stored). You can scrape for sites on these platforms, create a text list, use a "search and replace" to add your URL to the query parameter, and then list them on some page and trick Ahrefs into crawling that page. It'll then follow all these temporary redirects and think they're legit.

I have actually seen enough of these link types now in the profiles of overnight success stories out of India/Bangladesh that I went ahead and tried it out, maybe bought this exact gig.

I've actually popped onto the page for some keywords I'd been gunning for quite some time, nothing crazy but consumer electronics goods with 600+ MSV.

Not confident enough to say it was any "juice" per say from the links, but I do wonder if it helped balance out my anchor text ratios and that might have preceded the rank movements.

*I know these links are dumb, the site I pointed them too doesn't have an infinite lifespan so I'm kind of using it as a testing ground for shadier tactics I wouldn't use on sites with solid historicals.

The PBN owner is inflating the DR of the PBN so that he can charge more for links from the PBN. Duh.

Will it rank your site 3 years from now? No.

So, is the manipulation effective? Only if there's idiots who'll buy his PBN links. If not, then no. As for the buyers, no. It's a waste of money.

Back