Domain Level vs. Page Level Relevance for Expired Domains

Degree
When using an expired domain for a money site, how important is domain level relevance compared to page level relevance?

Example:

Expired domain: Car engine manufacturer
Backlinks: From websites focused on cars, but backlinks from pages talking about engines. Anchor text makes it clear that it is about car engines

Would this level of relevance be good enough to start a general car site with no focus on engines?

I'd give it a go and see what happens, seems close enough to me.

+1 from me too, I'd personally be a-ok with going full steam ahead on that. Obviously, re-create the pages about car engines and see if you can rank for those too, and interlink from those car engine pages to your other topics.

It's possible you don't get the same oomph as you would if the links were more varied or generalized about cars, but this is still a solid head start, either way, and it's absolutely relevant enough imo.

I've seen the most success with just 301 the domain to the root and do your own thing.
Replicating content can occasionally backfire horribly to if you get unlucky.
Seen a couple of interesting shit shows with former domain earners getting extremely butthurt.

I think I'll go ahead with it.

The only thing that was stopping me is that it's quite an expensive domain.

Dude, you're too concerned about it being a waste of money. I can tell you that you'll be fine and will get an ROI. Just do it. Get some balls.

Dude, you're too concerned about it being a waste of money. I can tell you that you'll be fine and will get an ROI. Just do it. Get some balls.
Not everyone has the same amount of money. For those with less it's often a requirement to be as confident as possible with spend vs something as reductive as just "lacking balls". I don't know OPs financial situation but speaking for myself I always rack my brain on risk assessment with domain purchases. Not a guaranteed investment and not everyone can easily eat the loss..

Oddly, this was neither motivating nor helpful.

Before I drop over $3k on a domain, I want to be as confident as possible that not only will it be not be a waste of money, but it also won't be a waste of time that could have been better spent on other things.

Oddly, this was neither motivating nor helpful.

Before I drop over $3k on a domain, I want to be as confident as possible that not only will it be not be a waste of money, but it also won't be a waste of time that could have been better spent on other things.
What I meant to say was, from what you said in the original post, it seems fine. You are just worrying too much, since the price tag is $3,000. To me, it seems you're held up, because it is expensive, not because of faulty logic. However, this is only from what you said. I didn't inspect the site myself.

Also, is it even indexed in google? If yes, another good sign.

Back