Do you find coding less mentally taxing than other tasks?

bernard

BuSo Pro
Degree
This is quite strange.
I have some chronic fatigue issues following head injury.
This makes me unable to write for more than 2 hours or so in a row. It really burns my brain to the point I can barely think afterwards. When I'm done, I'm done, I literally can't string together one sentence more.
For some reason, coding is different. I can code for hours despite being fatigued.
Really strange, I can only conclude it has to do with different parts of the brain, one part apparently has more damage than the other.

Writing requires creativity - one side of the brain, coding requires logic - the other side of the brain. If I code all day I can't be creative at any level, even random jokes people tell me go over my head cause I'm in "code mode".

But when I start my day with writing or something creative I can interact socially with people better and joke with them left and right - HOWEVER I cannot code that day PERIOD.

My brain can't switch back and forth without significant sleep in between.

So when I wake up whatever the first task is for that day - that's going to dictate the type of day I'll have.

It sounds like the part of your brain that requires creativity is messed up more than the other side.

My world basically revolves around code, Linux and music. When I write code, I find it to be a very creative process that happens to solve logic problems. To me, code isn't just a bunch of algorithms and data structures, it's every bit as much of a creative process as making music. When a mechanic is fixing a car, he/she is probably not worrying about the way they are turning the wrench, it just happens.

With music, I have a decent understanding of music theory. I know what key I'm playing in and what scales can be used for the sounds I'm trying to achieve but just like with code, when I'm playing I don't think about all the technical things so much. I just go for the sound I'm after and then worry about analyzing it afterwards. Rather than rack one side of my brain more than the other, I try to find balance down the middle and not worry about the process so much as the result.

Writing is more mentally taxing for me not because of a lack of creativity, but because it's obscenely boring. I'm more left-brain oriented. I get excited to code and solve problems and apply logic. I don't look forward to writing at all. Maybe that's part of your problem, an innate preference for one over the other.

Back