Do You Filter Directories When Analysing a SERP

Degree
I'm trying to structure this question so it doesn't look like I'm shilling a piece of software. But say you want to take a look at the first few pages of the SERPs and find the commonalities that google is favoring.

Locally, Yelp and other directories are turning up more and more, recently and my inclination would be to exclude these domains from analysis but to be aware of how many and which ones are turning up where.

What's your take?
<edit> Long time lurker, first time poster.

Last edited:
When I see a SERP which consists of a couple of directories, couple of listicles and commercial sites, I analyze only commercial sites. But at the same time I understand that I will only be able to compete for the positions taken by commercial sites, and not by directories/listicles.

@tiptoptommy and @beerhead, here's something to consider. What's the point in ignoring the very things Google is choosing to rank? You need to be doing one of two things with that information:
  1. Change the intent of your content to match what Yelp and them is doing.
  2. Realize your site and intent isn't meant for that kind of search query.
beerhead has it right in saying that you'll only be able to replace the spots taken by the content that is similar to yours. Where is that content ranking? Is it looking like it's coming out of favor for those queries? You have to look to the future as much as the present when doing this kind of long-term, long-wait work.

These days, it's pretty much either match the intent or find another query.

Speaking strictly from a Local SEO perspective. I like to run the same search query but change up the city. I’ll search cities with similar populations. For example, Dallas Plumber, San Jose Plumber, San Diego Plumber, etc.

I’m looking to see if there is a like pattern amongst the SERP results and there typically is. So if all the results have 3-4 directories/data aggregators and 6-7 local companies, I know I am good and I will discount the directories and focus my analysis on the competing local sites.

If the numbers are inverted then I know expectations need to be adjusted.

If my target city is an anomaly and the SERPs or more weighted (7-9 results) towards directories. I’ll dig into page 2 and 3 looking for local companies and evaluate their on-page and link profiles to see if its just crap and Google is just showing directories because everything else sucks or the directories really hot and bothered for that city. There is no reason yp.com should be ranking for shit, unless they really want that KW or everything else is crap.

Back