Do you allow your writer to feature your site in their Freelancing profile?

Sutra

Investor and Business Mentor
BuSo Pro
Degree
One of my writers has asked if he could mention doing work on my site in his Upwork profile. I'd love for him to get the recognition for it, but I don't want to expose myself too much. Any competitor that comes across his profile will easily be able to see the work he's done for my site (since it's viewable in Upwork history).

Perhaps I'm overthinking it because if they look at my site they could see his work anyway, hah.

But still, want to get your opinion before proceeding. Do you/would you allow your writers to mention your site in their profile?

Last edited:
No way. Sorry but I need a certain level of anonymity.

Yup, doesn't bother me. My regular writers get credit for their articles on my site, and I encourage them to share their posts and I'll link to their personal blogs / social media accounts. So if they want to include this site in their portfolio, I'm just glad that they're proud of their work.

But I'm not in a niche where people knowing about my site is really a competitive disadvantage, if that were the case I would be more secretive.

Sidenote: Has anyone else noticed a ton of great writers on Upwork lately? When they were still oDesk I would get bombarded with clearly unqualified people applying, but since the rebrand I have a fraction of the bad applicants to wade through, and everyone else has been amazing.

Sidenote: Has anyone else noticed a ton of great writers on Upwork lately? When they were still oDesk I would get bombarded with clearly unqualified people applying, but since the rebrand I have a fraction of the bad applicants to wade through, and everyone else has been amazing.

There were quite a few good people on elance, I guess when that shut and merged into Upwork they got a fair boost to their freelancer pool.

I think it really just comes down to what type of site you're working on. If you're doing some blackhat/greyhat stuff and want to limit competitors from digging into your site anyway possible...then maybe don't allow a byline. But, if everything is on the up-and-up with your site, there really shouldn't be any reason why shouldn't be able to use their work on your site in their portfolio.

If you're smart...you can leverage their personal social media accounts with their content to help get traffic to your site.

Back