Do we still need to disavow bad links?

Sutra

Investor and Business Mentor
BuSo Pro
Degree
Now that the new and improved Penguin is loose in the wild, do we still need to disavow bad links to our site?

Yes. Their algorithm isn't going to catch everything. If it's not in the disavow list then that means you condone the link (such stupid logic by Google).

The new spokesperson guy (can't think of his name) has stated that you should still use the disavow. Part of that is for the reason I've said above and the other is they want us narc-ing out scrapers and spammers.

I've never disavowed a link and would only consider it if I was negged. Disavowing is not a requirement.

I've never disavowed a link and would only consider it if I was negged. Disavowing is not a requirement.

Strongly agree with Calamari. The less G knows the better. If you get hit with spam as an attack, sure why not.

Always saw disavow as a way for rats to attack others and cripple the entire game.

Get rid of them I would say, unless majority of your links are crap links that still hold (somehow) your positions, then you would be better off by testing on single pages to see what's going to happen. Creating some "good" links in the mean time would be a good idea as well. But in my first step I would disavow for single pages, then wait lets say for a couple of weeks, and after that eventually push "legit" links once I know what disavowing did for me.

Thread...rise from your grave!

I'm in the process of updating my disavow file.

@Ryuzaki Should I disavow domains that are just a list of companies, domain comparison sites, coupon sites, sites that find domain contact details, domain price evaluators, weird search engines, etc?

Sites like:
semanticjuice.com
hunter.io
get-free-coupons-now.com
listofdomains.org
mywot.com
whatisdomain.net
checkwebsiteprice.com
yaelp.com (not to be confused with "yelp.com")

Last edited:
If it's autogenerated and dofollow, I disavow it. Most of the time I don't check dofollow or nofollow. I just disavow. I don't care if my list gets huge. It's just more evidence that I'm not spamming myself.

But yes, anything that is autogenerated by scrapers and databases gets the axe. You'll be hard pressed to find any instance of a link like that you want to keep.

I'm curious about what your workflow is for the disavow file.

Do you keep one huge running list? Or do you upload a new list each time?

The process must be efficient if we are really going to do this monthly. A new list each time (based on what is downloaded from Search Console) seems to be the easiest, but I do see a lot of duplicates. However, some aren't there anymore after my last disavow.

@mikey3times, you can't do multiple text files. It all has to be contained within one file, "one list." But you can have multiple lists inside the file if you want to separate it out with comments. The way I set mine up is like:

Code:
#12/10/18
https://www.site.org/inner-post
domain:whatever.info
domain:blahblah.net

Then when it comes time to add more, I just comment out a new date (you can have empty lines too), add everything needed, then run off to something like Text Mechanic's Remove Duplicate Lines and de-dupe them. Now you don't have any duplicates and it's all structured by time. I don't bother going back and trying to find out which links disappeared. It's not worth the man hours to do or pay someone to do.

But in this way you can use something like Ahrefs and just look at the new do-follow links and slap them in there. Multiple sources is better but you have to be able to afford them too. Ahref's makes it real easy to tell what is spam too since you can see the anchor and the text snippet around it, whether they're linking to an image, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back