Did Yoast mess up once again?

Degree
Be warned!

Check their latest changelog: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-seo/#developers

"Fixes a bug where robots meta values defaulted to 0 instead of null because of a bug in WPDB. This could result in incorrect values for noindex, nofollow , noarchive, noimageindex and/or nosnippet. In order to purge the wrong data, we need to truncate our tables again. This means you will have to go through the indexing process again. We’re very sorry. For sites with more than 10,000 posts, we advise using the WP CLI command to do the indexation on the server. "

Reading the latest reviews of the plugin and on other forums - it seems like people's sites are crashing. Kinda like when they accidentally took away the noindex-tag from pictures, resulting in websites getting thousands, if not millions, of indexed pages (pictures) in Google.

I see that people get errors when updating to the latest Yoast version, others that spent 2 days trying to fix the issue and a lot of people leaving for Rank Math.

If you are using Yoast, are you going to ride it out, change for another plugin, or fix it some other way? I myself haven't seen any issues with my websites so far.

... I wonder how this is even possible, considering it wasn't that long ago they fucked up with noindex.

200.gif

Either you have a CTO who builds everything from scratch and manages the tech for you or you pay $50/month and have them manage it for you. The worries and hassle of having to keep tech working is something I'd rather pay someone else to do. This is another example of that. Sure, Yoast's plugin is free but look at the cost. Not worth it for a commercial entity.

The trick with most plugins and any software you don't control is to not update immediately unless there's some kind of critical bug they're fixing. This is especially important when they jump versions, like they did to 14.0.x. I didn't have any problems on any of my sites because I waited and still haven't updated.

OgmTN5d.png

The bigger and more complex a plugin is, the more important it is to wait. There will almost always be a minor version update in the coming days as bugs are surfaced.

The sad part, and I see it in the tech industry, the video game industry, hell we even see it in commercial sales like with Kickstarter, is that everything (especially bug finding) is now crowdsourced to the end-users for free to the developer and at the expense of the end-user. We have to protect ourselves by either letting the suckers do the bug finding or we all have to refuse to do it and force the companies to do it like they should be.

This ^^ - just delay upgrading and check if there are any issues.

What I pretty much do for everything tech related.

I try to stay a version or 2 behind for this and a few other reasons.

Back