Creating an image repository

Nat

Degree
I've got a website that is in the perfect niche for creating images with text. Not really 'memes,' but images that people will share on social. Right now this site is running BuSoLightning.

If I want to create an image repository, sort of like this, what's the best way to do this? I don't just want to make a page with all of the images posted in there, that would be chaos and long. I hate plugins, but would that be the best option? Some type of gallery plugin? Whatever it is needs some easy way to share images.

Interesting. I was thinking the exact same thing to help strengthen being the "ultimate resource" behind a niche. Let me know what you find! One thing I'm doing is before and after implementing a plugin I gather speed and server load indicators. Then I see how they are affected once the plugin is activated and tuned. The few I use are not public facing and are more for management and security. Maybe you could use standalone software in a directory that is skinned the same way as your site.

To be honest I was a bit peeved at your post.

"I hate plugins, but I want something like this that's not a plugin because I hate them and it has to work for me. Is there something out there already tailored for me?" - was how I read it. Vague, choosy and un-researched, well expecting someone to do the legwork. It's the trifecta of a client every freelancer will pay to get away from.

But I think you're genuinely asking for an opinion, so I took a second look to hit from another angle.

1) I have less than $100 to spend.
a) Promote the use of Giphy/Gifs/Imgur, suck up on the link juice dilution.
b) Use a WordPress plugin, risk slowdown and a messy, potentially exploitable database
c) Use a WordPress plugin on a sub-domain that's separate from your main site. Minimize damage.

2) I have no/not enough/don't want gain knowledge on how to make this feature.
b) Use a WordPress plugin, risk slowdown and a messy, potentially vulnerable database
c) Use a WordPress plugin on a sub-domain that's separate from your main site. Minimize damage.

3) I have enough money to pay someone to do it.
a) Pay someone to do it.

4) I don't mind learning spending 3 days learning about VPS hosting
a) Explore open source meme generators/imgur clones to host on a sub-domain
b) Research, choose a meme generator, pay someone to set it up on a sub-domain

Here's an example of an open source image gen: https://github.com/voxmedia/meme

To be honest I was a bit peeved at your post.

"I hate plugins, but I want something like this that's not a plugin because I hate them and it has to work for me. Is there something out there already tailored for me?" - was how I read it. Vague, choosy and un-researched, well expecting someone to do the legwork. It's the trifecta of a client every freelancer will pay to get away from.

But I think you're genuinely asking for an opinion, so I took a second look to hit from another angle.

1) I have less than $100 to spend.
b) Use a WordPress plugin, risk slowdown and a messy, potentially exploitable database

2) I have no/not enough/don't want gain knowledge on how to make this feature.
b) Use a WordPress plugin, risk slowdown and a messy, potentially vulnerable database

3) I have enough money to pay someone to do it.
a) Pay someone to do it.

4) I don't mind learning spending 3 days learning about VPS hosting
a) Explore open source meme generators/imgur clones to host on a sub-domain
b) Research, choose a meme generator, pay someone to set it up on a sub-domain

Here's an example of an open source image gen: https://github.com/voxmedia/meme

For some reason, I completely missed this. Sorry for coming across as a prick, not my intentions. I'm not looking to generate memes, I literally just want to be able to 'host' images that I share on social media in a repository style without giving into WP bloat. Not allowing users to generate memes and not allowing anyone but me to upload.

I like your suggestion about using a sub-domain, hadn't thought of that one.

Edit: Although now that I think about it, allowing anyone to create memes might not be a bad idea...

Back