Commandeering an old subreddit

Nat

Degree
I've never submitted a request for a subreddit with 1 mod who is fully inactive. The sub itself is somewhat active. I don't actually have a Reddit account with tons of karma, I meet the 500 total and it's several years old. Would it be a better idea to try to build up karma before submitting a request or just go ahead? I'm kind of paranoid that someone else will take advantage of requesting it.

Also, the reddit has 5k subs. Not much activity at all, but still a decent # which is why I'm worried about applying and failing.

Go for it. Waiting leaves it on the table. If you are rejected you can try again later. But trying now sounds critical. Several years old with 500+ karma and no flags or shifty alt accounts, I'd think you're fine.

Go for it. Waiting leaves it on the table. If you are rejected you can try again later. But trying now sounds critical. Several years old with 500+ karma and no flags or shifty alt accounts, I'd think you're fine.

I'll update on what happens :smile:

Great idea and following! I wasn't aware of the minimum karma requirements but good luck.

Great idea and following! I wasn't aware of the minimum karma requirements but good luck.

Yeah, accounts less than 90 days old, and without at least 500 combined karma will not be given subreddits. You can also only request 1 per 30 days. If the reddit isn't 100% dead, I think they want you to also have Karma-specific to that reddit. I imagine they are also pretty strict about not using multiple accounts to request.

Yeah, accounts less than 90 days old, and without at least 500 combined karma will not be given subreddits. You can also only request 1 per 30 days. If the reddit isn't 100% dead, I think they want you to also have Karma-specific to that reddit. I imagine they are also pretty strict about not using multiple accounts to request.
Just curious is this subreddit like actually active with members currently posting? or is it inactive? I'm wondering because not long ago I thought of making a scraper to take over forgotten subreddits by doing what you were doing(submitting a request) but automated.

Just curious is this subreddit like actually active with members currently posting? or is it inactive? I'm wondering because not long ago I thought of making a scraper to take over forgotten subreddits by doing what you were doing(submitting a request) but automated.

The one I'm going after is somewhat active. Active enough that I was slightly worried about requesting it without having a 'better' reddit account. But, figured I would go ahead and act since I meet the requirements.

With only 1 request every 30 days per account, you will need your other requesting accounts to probably have their own IPs, etc. This is my first time requesting, but I would assume Reddit is pretty careful about this.

A little bummed I haven't heard anything back about this yet. It's been 5 days. I assume it's still within the normal range, but getting farther away... :(

The FAQ says not to assume the request will be done in 3 days even though that is the limit for expecting a response from any current inactive mods. So I assumed, okay, it won't be 3 days, maybe double or something.... I started looking deeper... I think the most recently approved reddit request was a full month+ ago. I realize mods are busy, but wtf... guess I won't expect to hear anything for another 3+ weeks.

I might have a 2 year old Reddit account with 50k+ karma available if that helps. Not sure if I'm allowed to say that here, so apologies in advance.

@Nat spend 20 bucks and grab an aged account with ridiculous karma off one of the 5 dollar sites. You are on to a good thing.

I might have a 2 year old Reddit account with 50k+ karma available if that helps. Not sure if I'm allowed to say that here, so apologies in advance.
You looking to sell it, or offering a request service?
@Nat spend 20 bucks and grab an aged account with ridiculous karma off one of the 5 dollar sites. You are on to a good thing.
Yeah, I figured I'd try it with an account I have that qualified, although not by a ton. Honestly, from what I saw, it doesn't matter what amount of karma your accounts has, everyone is going to have to wait around a month to see a yes or no.

I seem to get shadow banned every other month, perhaps it is a lack of patience.Spend the money you would on a few cups of coffee and let grab an aged account.

Just an update on this, still haven't heard anything at all.

tenor.gif

Its been a good 24 hours for me. Was added (today) as a moderator to the subreddit.

Back