Choosing A Domain Name

Degree
I'm currently operating a content site.

However, I've recently realized that I have probably chosen a domain name that will cause me problems down the road for reasons I won't go into here. I've spent most of the time building up the content and much less marketing so I don't have that much traffic yet.

So I've got to change the name and now is the time to do it.

I have an old domain name for a personal blog that I dropped awhile ago that I liked...but it is 4 words and 5 syllables long. Is that too long to use for an editorial blog?

Are there any success stories out there for similar sites with longer names?

I don't think there is any evidence that a longer domain name is detrimental to a site, the only thing would be how easy it is for people to remember. Longer names tend to be harder to remember, but if it is catchy it shouldn't matter.

I built a site a few years ago with an EMD, it was 4 words and had 7 syllables. It ranked in the number 1 spot on Google for a number of high volume and competitive terms, and I successfully flipped the site at the start of this year for $xx,xxx. It's still going strong now.

The main thing to think about is whether your domain name allows you to branch out once you have covered everything in your current niche. With my site that I spoke about above, I boxed myself into a specific niche which was quite narrow, and I couldn't expand so I had to sell it.

Remember to choose one which is radio friendly. if you have to explain how to spell the domain on a radio ad your domain name is not friendly.

think words which have multiple spellings or odd spellings are not suitable for a radio domain.

for instance seahear.com would be a terrible domain as radio listeners could spell it as seehear or seehere . seahere or chere

Back