Can someone explain tiered link building to me?

Degree
Can someone explain tiered link building to me?

I don't mean the basics, which is building links to your backlinks to pass more page rank juice. But what type of links should be in the first tier? What about no-follow and do-follow? Do bookmarks make a good tier 1 or better off for tier 2? Same with blog comments?

Also, it's obvious that this can't really be done manually and be effective, but will it truly keep your real site safe in the long run?

I'm kind of nervous to do anything at this point with all of these penalties going around.

Everyone has their own strategies, the best thing to do is to look at what your direct competitors are doing and to test things out for yourself. (That's the canned response, lol...) Some niches and keywords you'll have to hit a lot harder, which means you aren't really looking at long-term rankings if you manage to get on the map. Or you're looking at years and years of "safe" link-building. So there's always going to be that trade-off... You want it faster? It might not last as long, then.

Will it truly keep your real site safe in the long run? Probably not, at least don't count on it. I mean, it really depends on what you're doing re:neutral:inks, so it's hard to give a one-size-fits-all answer but basically... don't rely on SEO for your traffic, treat it as a bonus and expect it to go away at any moment, especially once you start using automated link building. Have a backup, have another site ready to go...

Maybe someone will chime in with more specifics on how they're doing their tiered links lately... Is there going to be a "Member's only" section, or a place for VIP members? That might encourage people to be more open about this.

Well, considering what we know about no-follow (not passing page rank juice according to Google anyways), I wouldn't use them as a first tier. You might get "other" boosts out of it not related to page rank juice, like maybe the anchor relevance or content relevance, but no juice.

I'd also probably only tier through articles, not something like a social bookmark. There's about zero reason for a social bookmark to get any backlinks, let alone a lot of them.

Don't worry about validation from what everyone else might do. Use your head and think about these things.

For me, I like to build legit web 2.0's and push spam through them. My main requirement is do-follow and contextual. I don't do contextual spam direct to my site either, so it doesn't leave many options if you aren't confident with building a PBN yet :( This works okay but only gets you so far up the rankings. The rest is manual work, like comments and guest posts and what not.

Back