Can I recover my site traffic?

Degree
Hi,

I built a site around 2017 and abandoned about 2 years, now I'm working on it for the past 2 months.

This is the traffic:

traffic.png

what caused the traffic to decline? Is this a Google update? Can I recover from this decline?

You haven't given enough information for any useful feedback. Take a look at some of the other threads that have received help and look at the amount of detail they've given.

That's a good starting place.

@THEBOSS, there's been some crazy updates starting around June 2018. August 2018 was horrible (Medic update), and then March 2019 I think was a pretty brutal one for a lot of people (if I'm recalling the months properly). See if those line up on your graph with any dips in traffic.

Nobody knows what to do about these updates. They were huge core updates which were probably just a re-weighting of metrics so there's not much you can do but publish more content, get more links, and make sure your technical SEO game is on point.

Otherwise, yeah, we'd need more info.

One thing, if your niche is "time sensitive" or is a bunch of reviews and "best" articles, try updating them to trigger a freshness refresh. It helps to have the right schema on the "Updated date" and not even show a published date, not even in the <head> code. You can find more info about that here.

Otherwise, if you can tell us more about your vertical at large without exposing your niche, tell us about your backlink numbers, metrics from Ahrefs or Majestic or Moz, tell us about how much content you have and what type, and the competitiveness of your search terms, we might can say more.

@Ryuzaki; I've read about the latest updates scary stuff! I think the website was hit by the medic update and also march 2019 update, the traffic gap for several days in 2019 and 2018 was due to forgetting to renew ssl certificat.

The website is in the entrainement industry i noticed a lot of competitors showing up using old expired domains(is this a new thing?), i have about 40 posts most of them reviews

My Ahrefs stats:
Domain rating
Backlinks
1,700+
11% dofollow
Referring domains
39% dofollow
What do you think guys about the sidebar plugin showing the latest and most popular posts?
some of my competitors some have powerful links using guest posting, i contacted the same websites but with no answer.

Back