Calling all MacFiends

You waited for the best. Have had every other iPhone iteration and now the 6- damn it's a great tool.

Not to worry, the Mac OS is even more powerful and clutter free!

Have a 13" air myself that is outstanding with almost everything.

That said- It has limitations if I want to run a couple of image editors, a couple of browsers, a couple of text editors, excel, evernote, Screenflow, dropbox sync. If these are things you need to do simultaneously- get the Mac Book Pro.
Myself I am waiting for the 15" upgrade coming up. I will be pulling the trigger on the top end unit the second it becomes available. I can't wait. :happy:

Just an update. I went into the store and checked out the 13inch MBA vs the 13 inch MBPr.

Here's what it comes down to...

13 inch MacBook Air (With upgrades...)
One of the weaker displays Apple current makes apparently
8gb ram
2.2 ghz processor
Weights about 3 pounds

13 inch Macbook Pro (Stock...)
Retina display
8gb ram
2.7ghz processor
Weights about 3.5 pounds
Better graphics (I think?)

Those both come to about $50 of each other in price. The Dell XPS 13 is in the same ballpark too in terms of build quality and specs, which might dispel some of the talk of Macs being a lot more pricey than PC.

So it's really a no-brainer in choosing between the air + pro... An extra .5 pounds in exchange for a better processor and a much better display. Unless I'm totally missing something. The pro was a lot thinner than I had imagined, so size isn't really a factor, I'll buy @builttodominate's online training and I'll be able to lift the extra half pound. The guy said they sell a lot more Air's than 13 inch Pro's because the base model air is cheaper and people who want the extra juice usually just go for the 15 inch pro.

My only concern now is if 13 inches will be enough to, say, have two browser windows side by side... But the 1600 resolution says "yes", since I can do two side by side on 1080p comfortably.

Anyways, just thinking out loud at this point...

Now I'm going to look into getting OSX running on my PC lol... WHO HAVE I BECOME?!?!?!?!?!

Just an update. I went into the store and checked out the 13inch MBA vs the 13 inch MBPr.

Here's what it comes down to...

13 inch MacBook Air (With upgrades...)
One of the weaker displays Apple current makes apparently
8gb ram
2.2 ghz processor
Weights about 3 pounds

13 inch Macbook Pro (Stock...)
Retina display
8gb ram
2.7ghz processor
Weights about 3.5 pounds
Better graphics (I think?)

Those both come to about $50 of each other in price. The Dell XPS 13 is in the same ballpark too in terms of build quality and specs, which might dispel some of the talk of Macs being a lot more pricey than PC.

So it's really a no-brainer in choosing between the air + pro... An extra .5 pounds in exchange for a better processor and a much better display. Unless I'm totally missing something. The pro was a lot thinner than I had imagined, so size isn't really a factor, I'll buy @builttodominate's online training and I'll be able to lift the extra half pound. The guy said they sell a lot more Air's than 13 inch Pro's because the base model air is cheaper and people who want the extra juice usually just go for the 15 inch pro.

My only concern now is if 13 inches will be enough to, say, have two browser windows side by side... But the 1600 resolution says "yes", since I can do two side by side on 1080p comfortably.

Anyways, just thinking out loud at this point...

Now I'm going to look into getting OSX running on my PC lol... WHO HAVE I BECOME?!?!?!?!?!

Hope I'm not too late to the party :

I have worked on Windows PCs for upwards of 15 years, and have switched last week to my first OSX device, a retina macbook pro 13 inch. Current status on that purchase? Loved that I took the decision, the laptop is flawless, and this is coming from a harsh critic.

The main debate on windows laptops vs macbooks is "But look at those specs, I could get the ones the macbook has for half the price! what a ripoff!" . Yes, that's true. However, you are also paying for the OS, for the design and its overall premium quality.

I have had lots of windows laptops, and there were many flaws I encountered such as bad-quality keyboard, bad display, low-quality build ( plastic ), low battery life, driver issues, and down goes the list.

When I got my macbook, I took 30 mins to install my Adobe Creative Cloud, Brackets, Google Chrome, Skype, Viber, iTerm and Alfred ( a nifty app that works like a search bar ) and I was ready to go. No driver issues, no restarts to install whatever, nothing that was malfunctioning, everything was smooth.

The retina display is a huge difference, font rendering looks smooth compared to my main PC, everything looks better and the user experience is great. Battery life so far is around 7-8 hours of browsing the web combined with working in various Adobe programs and a text editor and I'm happy with it.

The build quality really amazed me, it's sturdy while really light compared to what I thought it would be, and the mousepad is something else. Can't really say if it's better or worse than others, but it certainly is different.

If you have any questions for a guy that recently made the change, please do, I will answer each and every one of them.

@Marc Same boat here... PC all my life, and I ended up grabbing the 13 inch MBPr a few days ago. Still learning the ropes, but really liking it so far. It's handy how everything syncs up so easily between my devices... Of course, this isn't necessary exclusive to Apple, but it feels like with PC / Android there's kind of an extra step to everything whereas with Apple it's just ready to go. I'm mirin that 27 inch retina iMac now.

@MetaData do you have any suggestions for handy apps? I'd recommend you Alfred since it's just the best tool I have ever used, and iTerm for a terminal, did you discover anything else?

@Marc Nah nothing yet, I haven't really dug around much, still just getting used to the basics and trying to learn a few gestures and shortcuts as I go. I'mm have to check out Alfred. Let me know what else you come across!

Back