Bulletproof Coffee - anyone tried?

Love it, but don't fall for the bulletproof guy's marketing that he's got some magical kind of coffee beans that are the only ones that aren't filled with "toxins" etc, any old coffee beans will be just fine.

Meta, I watched some Joe rogan video that said exactly what you did. Also thinking that the oil he recommends might be snake oil (no pun intended) - any insight into using extra virgin coconut oil vs his stuff?

Not sure on any of the science or facts but I've used ghee, regular butter, grass fed butter, coconut oil and MCT oil in various combinations and enjoy all of them.

For all the mumbo jumbo...

the only thing here is coffee + fat to help transport.

So... get a coffee and cream or coffee and a croissant with butter or sandwich.

He is simply upselling each ingredient
Coffee? Nope. Get Elite coffee!
Butter? Nope. Get Elite Coconut oil!

Realize you are being hype marketed to.

::emp::

the only thing here is coffee + fat to help transport.

What does the fat help transport? Caffeine?

Right now, I just drink Folger's Country Roast, it's a lighter roast, and I add some fat-free creamer. So I guess I'm asking, why should I go for regular creamer (other than it being delicious)?

@Lion It seems to give a kind of "timed release" to the caffeine. There's something to do with ketosis or something I think from the fat too, that you might not get if you're eating a croissant... But again, I don't know any of the science or research behind it, I just know that a big cup of coffee in the morning with 1-2tbsp of fat mixed in with a blender puts me into overdrive for most of the day.

Don't have the article at hand (read. In. German anyway). Don't really remember. Either way, it basically said skip the hype, have a nice sandwich or Croissant with butter with your coffee.

Which - coincidence - is a very popular way to have coffee for breakfast.

Yeah as long as you're good with all the sodium, sugars and calories in the croissant to start the day it's definitely a tastier alternative to straight up grease :D

Hmm, threads on bulletproof coffee and flotation tanks. You must have been listening to JRE podcast or possibly an RB forum member? :smile:

MetaData nailed it in his first response about not falling for the claims made by Dave Asprey. You can make it yourself with pretty much any store bought coffee + grass fed butter.

Here's a Gizmodo article debunking a lot of the claims: http://gizmodo.com/bulletproof-coffee-debunking-the-hot-buttered-hype-1681321467

Must say I found out about rogan after floating, and then the dude at my local float spot told me about the coffee. Everything is linked I suppose!

Yeah as long as you're good with all the sodium, sugars and calories in the croissant to start the day it's definitely a tastier alternative to straight up grease :D
As much as I get the healthy eating, etc...
A croissant in the morning won't kill you.

But if that is your concern, get a slice of whole corn bread from your local farmer's market and spread some grassfed butter on it. Top with a small amount of good, locally produced, pesticide free honey.

All the good effects + better taste + hipster / eco street cred. :wink:

If you then Instagram a photo of it each morning it should catapult you to instant hipster fame

Reactions: emp
That article is a really great sales template.
Cool story,
mystery to be revealed,
"backed by intensive research",
social proof from top executives,
how it will improve you,
you can now DIY with my ingredients,
shopping cart link

That article is a really great sales template.
Cool story,
mystery to be revealed,
"backed by intensive research",
social proof from top executives,
how it will improve you,
you can now DIY with my ingredients,
shopping cart link

Agreed, and you nailed the quotes on that one.

Been mixing coconut butter in my coffee for yrs, taking about missed opportunity. :-(

So how do I do this? I got the ghee butter here and then I got some instant coffee... will that work? I just put 1 tablespoon of ghee butter in the coffee and that's it? I'm on it right now, not going to lie there seems to be some extra focus, but I'm pretty much free balling this. HELP!

Speaking of coffee, you guys ever tried Cuban Coffee? Few years back went on a cruise with my then GF, from Miami to the Keys. Made friends with another couple that were from Miami. After the cruise, they showed us around Miami and introduced us to Cuban coffee.

I'm not big on coffee but that shit was delicious.

Of course, my body has become almost immune to it so that I have to take the whole thing, but now it gives me jitters and when my eye starts to twitch I know I've had a bit too much, so I've been off that for about 6 months now - that shit is no joke.

Speaking of coffee, you guys ever tried Cuban Coffee? Few years back went on a cruise with my then GF, from Miami to the Keys. Made friends with another couple that were from Miami. After the cruise, they showed us around Miami and introduced us to Cuban coffee.

Love that stuff! Was also intro'd to it in Florida. Those Cuban's don't mess around.

Back