Building an online business... where do I get started?

Degree
I want to spend the next month reading as much as I can and then starting to decide what I want to do. All I know so far is that folks are making a killing online ... and I've got lots of free time ... and I've been successful at other things in the past so I wanna give it a go.

I don't know if I want to build some kind of online magazine or offer a service or get some apps made or do something else entirely. I'm leaving all the doors open for now.

Can anyone point me towards good resources for beginners? I'm talkin TOTAL beginners. Don't assume anything is too obvious because I'm starting from scratch here.

Can we try to narrow down what your experience is in other fields and which areas of building an online business interest you the most - just to get started? I understand wanting to branch out and try a little bit of everything, but you'll need some focus too.

Everyone's path is different, but maybe tell us more about yourself and we can offer some suggestions.

What's your timeframe? How risk-averse are you? Do you want to really grind out some money or are you looking at more of a 4 hour work week kind of thing? Anything you can tell us will help us guide you...

I'm thinking that for websites or apps, that you need to start with some kind of display coding language, like HTML and then CSS. There's really no starting point. There's so much you need to see and touch before it's going to click and gel together. I wouldn't attempt to just read a lot. It's far too grand of a field. Choose one thing you want to do and start doing it. You'll have a question or problem that must be solved, and seek the solution. That is how you'll learn. Let each problem open up the next and chase it to the end.

CherryPit nailed it. :happy:

I think your first step is going to be.. build a website. I don't know your skill level, but start basic. Get some cheap hosting, install wordpress, make or get some basic graphics made up. Most importantly start writing content about the subject! I don't care if it's an "unofficial fan site" for your favorite show, build it!

The point is not to build a huge cash cow on your first site if you are just starting... just get USED to writing, get familiar with analytics, set some traffic based goals maybe, soon you'll start seeing what questions you need to ask so you can build something that makes dolla bills.

This will give you a sense and understanding of what it takes to build something.
Then you'll start having questions like...
"how do I make this LOOK better"
"how can I get this to load faster?"
"how do I make content that will get traffic to the site!"
"how can I get people to link to me?"
etc etc etc.

So just start BUILDING. Keep asking questions, keep reading.

"A year from now you may wish you had started today" - Karen Lamb

Yes, the keyword should be "familiarity." Until you have that with the entire field of your work-world, you wont' really even know the right questions to be asking or what to focus on. I think familiarity has to be there, then you can dig deeper into something like a full-on app.

Thx for the tips everyone. I've been reading and taking notes all week. I'll update my progress soon.

I know it's not a popular opinion, but if you are making micro-niche sites and smaller sites where the look of perfection doesn't matter, you can use templates and themes without needing to know any coding and still make money. I see sites ranked all of the time where the designer can't even figure out how to remove the footer links. Of course the sites that are perfected look a lot better.

My two bits - solve a problem.

Since you haven't decided yet the path you want to take, start by addressing the most important thing first. Solve a problem that interests you. Lack of technical experience and to a lesser degree money can be overcome if you produce something other people need. It'll also help you to stick with it when the hard work starts of you having to learn unfamiliar skills. The problem doesn't have to be big either, just something you understand. Luckily, humans are a needy bunch so there's almost endless solutions to be had out there.

Once you figure that out, it'll be easier to pick the path of how to package your solution and drive people to it.

The first thing I would do is test the market to see if there is even a market for your ideas. Remember, just because you think your ideas are great does not always mean others do. Plus, even if other people do like your ideas, are they willing to pay?

Good luck

clone successful business models. keep a watch on how other business kick off smooth

I want to spend the next month reading as much as I can and then starting to decide what I want to do. All I know so far is that folks are making a killing online ... and I've got lots of free time ... and I've been successful at other things in the past so I wanna give it a go.

I don't know if I want to build some kind of online magazine or offer a service or get some apps made or do something else entirely. I'm leaving all the doors open for now.

Can anyone point me towards good resources for beginners? I'm talkin TOTAL beginners. Don't assume anything is too obvious because I'm starting from scratch here.

Your first stop should be Ed Dale via MagcastDotCo where he's offering a magcast programme. He offers tools and coaching for starting an online magazine, starting from scratch. Ed is on the pulse of the market so you can't go wrong. Be prepared to put in some work. But Ed makes it easy. Warning: this is not a get rich quick scheme, although there's plenty of opportunity to earn a decent income quickly and easily. It's for serious online entrepreneurs who want to build the skills for growing a successful online business that can bring continuing returns.

Grea
The first thing I would do is test the market to see if there is even a market for your ideas. Remember, just because you think your ideas are great does not always mean others do. Plus, even if other people do like your ideas, are they willing to pay?

Good luck

Good point. just because people are interested in a niche doesn't mean they are willing to pay for it. It's best to undertake research in the early stages of product development to determine commercial intent. Once you've decided on your potential product and target market, its a good idea to test the market through some inexpensive experimentation.

My two bits - solve a problem.

Since you haven't decided yet the path you want to take, start by addressing the most important thing first. Solve a problem that interests you. Lack of technical experience and to a lesser degree money can be overcome if you produce something other people need. It'll also help you to stick with it when the hard work starts of you having to learn unfamiliar skills. The problem doesn't have to be big either, just something you understand. Luckily, humans are a needy bunch so there's almost endless solutions to be had out there.

Once you figure that out, it'll be easier to pick the path of how to package your solution and drive people to it.

Pursue a business in something you're passionate about. That way you can do it effortlessly. You're less likely to notice the long hours and hard work that goes into starting a successful business. And even if you do notice, you probably won't mind. Try to solve a nagging pain point in your niche market by providing something of value. The best way to grow your customer base is to be helpful in solving their persistent problems

Your first stop should be Ed Dale via MagcastDotCo where he's offering a magcast programme. He offers tools and coaching for starting an online magazine, starting from scratch. Ed is on the pulse of the market so you can't go wrong. Be prepared to put in some work. But Ed makes it easy. Warning: this is not a get rich quick scheme, although there's plenty of opportunity to earn a decent income quickly and easily. It's for serious online entrepreneurs who want to build the skills for growing a successful online business that can bring continuing returns.

Holy shit he's charging $3500 a year. You realize that a newbie to internet marketing who doesn't already have an audience is just going to end up paying $3500 for a pretty site that just sits there not being read, right? I have a feeling by "magazine" that coldbeer meant more along the lines of a content site rather than a digital version of a news stand magazine. That might be useful for corporate folks and big brands that already have an audience... but for starting from scratch? Eh, I doubt it. What's your affiliation with Ed Dale?

Best advice I can give: One thing at a time. If you can't build one successful business that lands in the green you definitely can't build three. It isn't a "throw darts at the board and see what sticks" kind of game. At least not until you have funds to throw around.

Come up with an idea. It can be original or you can model it off of an already successful business/website. The latter is easier in the beginning. Put a plan in place and a set amount of time to dedicate to it (3 months, 6 months, etc). If the time frame comes and it isn't showing its potential at all you can move on then.

Biggest problems newbies have is A) Thinking that sitting around reading blogs and digesting information all day is getting them somewhere and B) Half-Assing a bunch of potentially good ideas. Don't do that. Whole ass one thing.

This Ed Dale right??? http://saltydroid.info/ed-dale-30-day-challenge/

That's exactly the guy. I was referring to Ed's publication training . {Removed MMO guru link.} I got my first start in online marketing through Ed Dale's 30 day program.{Removed MMO guru link.} . Learnt the basics and built from there. I believe it's a good place for a newbie to start. In 30 days he taught me the basic skills I needed, free. Coldbeerhere asked for recommendations on beginners resources. What beginner sources would you recommend?

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy shit he's charging $3500 a year. You realize that a newbie to internet marketing who doesn't already have an audience is just going to end up paying $3500 for a pretty site that just sits there not being read, right? I have a feeling by "magazine" that coldbeer meant more along the lines of a content site rather than a digital version of a news stand magazine. That might be useful for corporate folks and big brands that already have an audience... but for starting from scratch? Eh, I doubt it. What's your affiliation with Ed Dale?

I've got to admit the price may be kinda hot for some newbies. Others can afford it. If you can develop a good publication you could get a good ROI, and that makes it totally worth it. Can you recommend an alternative to Magcast that won't break the bank? That offers similar training or a publication platform at a lower cost? Coldbeerehere asked for newbie resources. What resources would you recommend?

@Patant Consultants Sorry but you're either a snake oil salesman, or a victim of it, and we're not about that life here. I'm removing the links to that Ed Dale stuff, and we'll leave it at that. This isn't a "MAKE MONEY ONLINE" forum, but I can direct you towards a few if you would like...

Do you have any comments about that Salty Droid article? We can keep the discussion going, but I imagine that Mr. Dale would rather we didn't.

Last edited:
@MetaData I seem to have found the right forum - a very fair way to deal with someone who clearly had a new agenda!

I think OP was a troll...

@Patant Consultants Sorry but you're either a snake oil salesman, or a victim of it, and we're not about that life here. I'm removing the links to that Ed Dale stuff, and we'll leave it at that. This isn't a "MAKE MONEY ONLINE" forum, but I can direct you towards a few if you would like...

Do you have any comments about that Salty Droid article? We can keep the discussion going, but I imagine that Mr. Dale would rather we didn't.

Don't mind if you move the link buddy. Was just trying to be helpful. You would notice that in my initial post I included no links. I only posted clarifying links in response to yours. No intention to spam the forum. And was respectful not to include links when I first posted. I have nothing to gain in giving free advice to a free training resource to which I have no monetary affiliation.

As for being a snake oil salesman or a victim? I dare say I'm neither. No affiliation to Ed Dale or his strategies except that I started off in online marketing through his free 30 day online marketing training course. Using these free strategies and of course gradually attaining other knowledge, I was able to grow my traffic to over 300k. If that makes Ed a snake oil salesman, then it dare say it's the kind of oil I'd link to drink regularly.

So whilst I am aware of your referenced article and other articles of the critics of Ed Dale, I don't know that any of these critics are offering training of a similar quality at no cost. If you do, I'd be quite interested to know.

But this thread isn't about me or Ed Dale. It's about ColdBeerhere's request for information regarding training resources. So lest I or any other become a victim, we hope that you will point us to some alternatives.

@Patant Consultants The tone of my initial response may have been harsh, and that's because we strongly discourage MMO and any similar predatory products here and approach that side of the industry with an extreme skepticism. You're right that we're getting off topic, so let's leave it at that. Please feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss this further.

Back