Borrowing content from competitors

Degree
I remember reading this topic on BlueHat, but was just wondering if anyone has practical application of taking content from competitors..

Should I just wholesale take it until a take down request happens, partially rewrite it?

Try improve it someway.

My best traffic came from taking a competitors article, summarizing it and then making an infographic.

Did that twice and both got around 100k views.

What's funny is I actually took it from Neil patels nutrition blog lol.

But if it's viral type news stuff then just rip it till you get a take down notice

Last edited:
Half the content on my current site is taken from competitors. I browse their websites/use buzzumo to identify the most shared pieces. Then I hire a writer to rewrite the article to make it unique. Use Copyscape to verify it's unique. Make any minor changes needed then post it.

When going for SEO I prefer to make the article better rather than just rewrite it.

Either way, is a great way to get awesome, unique, content on your site quick.

Try improve it someway.

My best traffic came from taking a competitors article, summarizing it and then making an infographic.

Did that twice and both got around 100k views.

What's funny is I actually took it from Neil patels nutrition blog lol.

But if it's viral type news stuff then just rip it till you get a take down notice

good one @built where did you submit the infographic to. pinterest or infographic sites.

If you're buying traffic, you can just copy and paste their content, really. For SEO, I'd change it at least. I know that this is how an entire sector of the industry works. Stealing each other's contents, site designs, landers, campaigns, and even clicks. It's despicable. Even if i could make a ton of money doing it I wouldn't.

I don't remember the exact rule, but I think Google prohibits using copied content on pages that have Adsense. You have to curate it or change it just enough so it's not duplicate content.

"Create less clutter and more clarity, or help everyone to make sense of it faster than the competition and you win!"
- Mark Orchant

Take that content and make it better - Easier to understand, organized better, plug the gaps.

::emp::

Back