Blocking lower tier traffic

Degree
I'm getting closer to the 50K session requirement from Mediavine. However, I only get 32% U.S traffic and a further 10-12% from other Tier 1 countries, then around 19% from India.

I've heard that Mediavine won't approve a site which doesn't get at least 50% tier 1 traffic.

I'm using GA to find and target more U.S. centred keywords for my next batch to hopefully increase the percentage.

Is it worth geo blocking some countries to increase the overall percentage of US and Tier 1 traffic? Has anyone had experience with being approved by Mediavine / AdThrive with similar location stats?

Thanks

No, it's not worth blocking those countries (and then unblocking them after you get in, of course) because those countries all add up to a non-negligible amount of money.

It's typically not worth doing cheats, scams, shortcuts, or however you want to label it. You already know the solution: get more traffic from US, UK, CA, EU, AUS. You will want to do that anyway if you want the most healthy RPM numbers.

It's not like you can just get into one of these networks then they forget you exist and never look at your site again. They audit you at the start (including historical data), the exchanges they work with audit you, the advertisers audit you, they all periodically audit you, when you want to sell the site they audit the site again under the new owner, and so forth. It's important to do it right.

Hell, @JOoa0ky just posted this in another thread:

Today's problems were yesterday's solution. - Peter Senge

Sounds like what you're gearing up to do to yourself. Just do it right now and it'll pay off massively later in a way it wouldn't have otherwise.

No, it's not worth blocking those countries (and then unblocking them after you get in, of course) because those countries all add up to a non-negligible amount of money.

It's typically not worth doing cheats, scams, shortcuts, or however you want to label it. You already know the solution: get more traffic from US, UK, CA, EU, AUS. You will want to do that anyway if you want the most healthy RPM numbers.

It's not like you can just get into one of these networks then they forget you exist and never look at your site again. They audit you at the start (including historical data), the exchanges they work with audit you, the advertisers audit you, they all periodically audit you, when you want to sell the site they audit the site again under the new owner, and so forth. It's important to do it right.

Hell, @JOoa0ky just posted this in another thread:

Sounds like what you're gearing up to do to yourself. Just do it right now and it'll pay off massively later in a way it wouldn't have otherwise.
Thanks, I appreciate the reply.

I think it's just the angst of potentially getting to 50K and then not getting accepted. But you're right, it's better to do things the correct way i.e. target more tier 1 keywords than look for shortcuts

Back