Blew up a $100 a day keyword through updating, revert back or stick with it?

tyealia

BuSo Pro
Degree
So heres the dumbest thing I have ever done.

I had a keyword on one of my sites I was ranking #1 for pulling in $100 a day.

Some of the affiliate links had broken so I took it upon myself to replace the #3/4 product I was promoting with new ones and rewriting those reviews. The page disappeared from google completely.

Question now is, should I stick with it maybe google is just brewing in its algo, or should I restore the version from yesterday.

My personal opinion is revert back and google resubmit for priority indexing and hope to god it pops back, what do some pros think?

Just chill out mate, you are in panic mode.

Hey @CCarter saw your reply 5 minutes too late. I went ahead and restored my page to old version from last night and clicked the google request indexing button in webmaster tools before I read it, unfortunately.

I guess I just haven't ever been in this situation hence the panic. Would you recommend I flip back again to the new changes I had done when google deindexed the page?

Jesus christ, It can take up to 2 weeks for Google to re-evaluate page changes. It was a simple re-evaluation of the new content, you probably would have been back in 1-3 days. Now - who the fuck knows. Paging @Ryuzaki he cares more about this crap, so he probably has some better insight.

Give google at least 1-2 days to figure out the changes. I've improved the onpage on 1 of my pages yesterday (read: I stuffed the page with more required keywords) and it took ~24 hours for google to reindex the changes (and count them).

I've checked 3 times today, to see how much it takes and it took ~24 hours to reindex the page with my changes even though I instantly submitted it in GSC after the changes yesterday.

It went from #4 to #2, I will get 1 quality link for it and it will be #1

@tyealia, don't do anything else. Google noticed your changes nearly immediately, which is a good sign that they crawl your sitemap often and saw the updated date. Now you've asked them to do it again. It's not a big deal, but if you want it to return to its rightful place in the SERPs, you have to let them process the changes.

I've seen on-page changes processed in 24 hours, 48 hours, and around 5 days on sites with this good of a response speed from Google.

If you want to know for sure they saw the new changes, check the cache by searching cache:https://yourURL...

It shouldn't tank you or cause any crazy bouncing once they re-calculate everything. It won't take as long as it does with new pages either. But you have to quit changing it so they have confidence that it's done changing.

Once it's settled again and you want to improve the earnings, I'd go back to your improved changes and wait again. Once you see this process play out this time you'll be more calm about it next time.

The URLs don't always drop in ranking when you make changes, but you made pretty substantial changes, which is why you got that reaction. Stuff like @janky is talking about won't disrupt anything, but you changed a big portion of the text it seems. It'll come back very soon if you leave it alone.

@tyealia, don't do anything else.

The URLs don't always drop in ranking when you make changes, but you made pretty substantial changes, which is why you got that reaction. Stuff like @janky is talking about won't disrupt anything, but you changed a big portion of the text it seems. It'll come back very soon if you leave it alone.

Thanks for taking the time to give this advice, pure gold. I have many affiliate sites but I guess I have just never seen a full-on disappearance in indexing of an old high earning page except for one site I had been penalized on 2 years back so the fear set in hehe.

You are right and it must have been because I changed about 40% of the textual content with the new review rewrites.

I will follow your advice and avoid touching and checking this one site for a bit while it settles down. Then in maybe a few weeks once it settled do the review changes in small batches one by one throughout the month so it hopefully doesn't see a reason to deindex again with such small changes.

Are you sure it is actually deindexed?

Checked 3 rank tracking tools, tried searching for the keyword with my brand name after and interactions it was completely gone.

UPDATE - Shes back now at #1 again. Okay looks like the restore and reindex worked within an hour and a half. Now I'm horrified to touch anything lol. I am going to let it sit for 7 days then do small micro-changes like changing 1 product at a time and only having a small review

Checked 3 rank tracking tools, tried searching for the keyword with my brand name after and interactions it was completely gone.

UPDATE - Shes back now at #1 again. Okay looks like the restore and reindex worked within an hour and a half. Now I'm horrified to touch anything lol. I am going to let it sit for 7 days then do small micro-changes like changing 1 product at a time and only having a small review

Here's a tip I use.

Instead of deleting old reviews, just move them to the bottom under a section under "Previous reviews" or "Old reviews - no longer for sale" or something like that.

By doing that, you can keep the content there, and still be updating it.

If the content is really old and bad for optics, you can spin it off into a separate review in a post, and then have a subsection like "Other popular products" and keep a list, perhaps with a few lines of text for each and then link to the new review post.

Here's a tip I use.

Instead of deleting old reviews, just move them to the bottom under a section under "Previous reviews" or "Old reviews - no longer for sale" or something like that.

By doing that, you can keep the content there, and still be updating it.

If the content is really old and bad for optics, you can spin it off into a separate review in a post, and then have a subsection like "Other popular products" and keep a list, perhaps with a few lines of text for each and then link to the new review post.

This is a good tip and idea, so essentially you always keep that content there, the user will see its depricated and not touch it but you still have the wordcount and keywords for google. I like it I will try to mix this into my sops thanks bernard.

This is a good tip and idea, so essentially you always keep that content there, the user will see its depricated and not touch it but you still have the wordcount and keywords for google. I like it I will try to mix this into my sops thanks bernard.

It also works to include product names for SEO purposes, even if you don't want to review them or can't review them.

Back