Bing Spam List - Site No-Indexed in Bing & Duck Duck Go

Degree
Hey guys,

One of my sites has been flagged by Bing as being a spammy site and they have no-indexed it. This happened around a month ago but I only just noticed the last couple of days (oops). I am in touch with their support and are working through the issues, so its not a huge issue.

The site is also not indexed on DuckDuckGo anymore either which im not too surprised about since from what I have read they use other search engines data to create their own results - im hoping once I get the issues fixed and re indexed on Bing things will go back to normal.

I have also noticed my Google rankings have dropped considerably since around the same date too, everything is still indexed, I have only lost positions - originally I was thinking this was just all of these Google updates from the past 6 weeks or so but im starting to think that maybe I am loosing positions because Google know I have penalised by Bing?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this theory?

Have you looked at your backlink profile? Negative SEO if someone is sending spammy backlinks.

What is the exact reason Bing states it is "spammy"? What's the exact language they use?

Is your site compromised or hacked with viruses at some level?

Hey CCarter,

The bulk of their email states:

'I have reviewed your query and see that your site is not in Bing index. Unfortunately, while I was investigating I saw that your site is under spam list which can be a reason why we are not indexing it. I am checking with my team if the block is valid. I will update you once I hear back from them.

In the meantime, you can go through our Bing webmaster guidelines to check if your site is violating any of the rules cited in these https://www.bing.com/webmaster/help/webmaster-guidelines-30fba23a, especially the Section Things to Avoid, and thoroughly check your site for any deliberately or accidentally employed SEO techniques that may have adversely affected your standing in Bing and Bing-powered search results.'

I am hoping their reply has some actual info I can work with.

The site has not been compromised or hacked and from what I can see i can't find anything to suggest any negative SEO.

From the response it sounds like the problem is on-page, so are you doing something in the "Things To Avoid" section that could be considered "suspect"?

I have just been looking at their "things to avoid' section and nothing really sings out to me - its a white hat site with - i'm sure I will find out exactly what is causing it when they reply I hope.

Do you think there is any link between being spam listed on Bing and Google rankings dropping?

Do you think there is any link between being spam listed on Bing and Google rankings dropping?
IMO Absolutely. Did you look up your backlink profile? Look at the newest backlinks and see if there is anything off.

Just on a side note spammy could also be refering to things on-page typically keywordstuffing, that is unfortunatley also where things can become complex since it may be a combination of your number of keywords on page and your anchor text profile.
One thing I would do to check for spammy backlinks is ofcourse run your site through webmastertools,ahrefs,macejstic.etc..etc but also run this query on google site:yourdomain.whatever -yourdomain.whatever (I don not know if the same query would work on bing) this should reveal some of the links to you that google has found but exclude any internal links, the reason I'd do that is simply because if it is neg seo through spam backlinks the typical link checking bots can fairly easiliy be blocked.

Just on a side note spammy could also be refering to things on-page typically keywordstuffing, that is unfortunatley also where things can become complex since it may be a combination of your number of keywords on page and your anchor text profile.
One thing I would do to check for spammy backlinks is ofcourse run your site through webmastertools,ahrefs,macejstic.etc..etc but also run this query on google site:yourdomain.whatever -yourdomain.whatever (I don not know if the same query would work on bing) this should reveal some of the links to you that google has found but exclude any internal links, the reason I'd do that is simply because if it is neg seo through spam backlinks the typical link checking bots can fairly easiliy be blocked.

do you mean link:yourdomain.whatever -yourdomain.whatever

I find that 99% of the time in cases like these, where the site owner is like "Gee, I just have no idea what could POSSIBLY be the problem!", but then you actually get to see their site, their site is a spammy piece of shit. So it's probably that. Hope this helps OP.

And hey, I really have no issue with creating spammy churn and burn properties to make money, but don't be one of those guys who like, feign ignorance or play stupid or whatever, as if they don't know those properties are spammy. And then they're all shocked and offended when anyone points out that they're low quality? Why? I've had shitty sites and I knew they were shitty and if they got deindexed I would know exactly why.

I find that 99% of the time in cases like these, where the site owner is like "Gee, I just have no idea what could POSSIBLY be the problem!", but then you actually get to see their site, their site is a spammy piece of shit. So it's probably that. Hope this helps OP.

I hate to say it but that was my gut feeling too. Bing, DuckDuckGo, AND Google are dropping you and sending notices of spam detected. I mean - come on...

Just had a reply from Bings support team. No info as to why it was flagged or anything only:

"This is to inform you that, I could see now the site got indexed and showing in Bing SERP results and confirming there is no crawl block."

.. within a few minutes of receiving the email I am indexed on Bing (and DuckDuckGo) again with my old rankings back.

"This is to inform you that, I could see now the site got indexed and showing in Bing SERP results and confirming there is no crawl block."

.. within a few minutes of receiving the email I am indexed on Bing (and DuckDuckGo) again with my old rankings back.

I'll never understand why companies / people lie so blatantly like this. They know that you know there was a problem and the moment they responded that there was no problem, the problem magically resolved itself.

I guess they're trying to fudge internal metrics so when it comes time to turn in reports and get evaluated they look better to their bosses. It's astounding to me how many blatant, bold faced liars there are out there, even when it doesn't matter.

do you mean link:yourdomain.whatever -yourdomain.whatever
No the site: operator not the link, to my knowledge the link operator is no longer working, but I could be wrong.

Back