Bing includes OpenAI’s ChatGPT chatbot

Zoro

I'll surpass you one day, father
Degree
"Microsoft is reportedly planning to launch a version of Bing that uses ChatGPT to answer search queries. The Information reports that Microsoft hopes to launch the new feature before the end of March in a bid to make Bing more competitive with Google.."

What we thought was years away is happening now in march, what's your thoughts on this? Is this a Google killer? How will this affect us? I can really see a huge disadvantage for us with informational blogs but this might change more than that.

What do you think?

Ps. I know we have a AI content thread but this is bigger news and kind of irrellevant to ChatGTP itself, but feel free to delete if needed.

Is this a Google killer?

Well Bing needs all the help it can get. But the "Google Killer" will be driven by consumers/searchers. You can build a better mouse trap but if no one uses it it doesn't matter. Especially if you don't market it correctly.

A prime example, Bill Gates introduced a tablet in 2001, no one gave a fuck:

bill-gates-tablet-2002.jpg

Apple introduced the iPad 10 years later in 2010, people loved it.

Bill Gates admitted Jobs did it right: "[Steve Jobs] did some things better than I did. His timing in terms of when it came out, the engineering work, just the package that was put together. The tablets we had done before, weren't as thin, they weren't as attractive."​

What mostly will happen, given Microsoft's track record, they'll introduce it, if it is somewhat successful, Google or someone else will copy it and make it work 10x better, and take over the market.

Microsoft is always late to the party, even when they are early. They just lack grace or style, I don't know how to explain it. They have the resources but just always fuck it up, probably due to internal red tape and bureaucracy. Hard to be quick and nimble when you are an old elephant.

Back in the day when it was just Windows running the world they could get away with their nonsense blue screen of death, not so much anymore.

@CCarter, Thank you for your reply, I agree on that, they never succeed to blow people's minds like everyone else does but Microsoft is still a solid player on the field. But let's say that this will fail and someone else will take over we still have the threat of AI taking over search engines and Google will for sure speed that up now.

AI can beat any informational site in seconds, I can imagine all sites that share information on how to do things will disappear from the face of the earth if the user isnt looking for personal experience?Imagine looking for a drink recipie, I don't need a site for that anymore.

I might be trying to find negative stuff (but I like to analyze), maybe people will feel even more that they don't want computer answers, they actually want people who know what they are talking about and Google will explode even more killing bing in the process. But I like to discuss things and that is why I try to bring something different to the table compared to the one I'm writing with. :happy:

I am trying to figure out if I should be worried or not, that is why I seek other opinions.

But Bing is doing something right atleast:
NbBZOfk.png

Imagine looking for a drink recipie, I don't need a site for that anymore.

Realistically the next generation get their information from Tiktok and Instagram. I've given example after example about this:

(Direct link to post)

The reality is when I load up a ton of websites there are popups, so many ADs, interstitials, and scrolling nonsense that it's a headache to get information I want.

When was the last time you looked for a recipe and didn't have to scroll through the person's life story about how their grandma used to make Apple Pie, before you got to the actual recipe.

Actually recipe sites are a perfect example you chose, go find a single site through Google which has the recipe at the top of the page...

You can't.

How is that a better user experience?

My teenage kids consistently get recipes from tiktok

My wife uses TikTok daily for just about everything.

I think we’re at a point in time with a very interesting change in messaging medium. This medium evolves over time to the most convenient, trustworthy delivery of information.

Google innovated huge the past few decades in the search field and their content. CONTENT.

People nowadays are finding better content on tiktok. The trend of personable, short video content is here and has some real steam to take away from Google’s dominating market share of search.

I could see AI gaining some pretty big shares quickly on topics like tech questions.

Stackoverflow should be worried, because no one wants to be harassed by angry nerds for asking beginner questions and ChatGPT is very good at explaining coding questions.

I'm not sure if it is the case for other topics, but ChatGPT is an excellent tutor for coding. I don't think it will work as well for less tech oriented use cases, where there's more of a need for creativity or artistic ability.

I've been using Bing a lot to do research and put together writer briefs I'd normally spend an hour or two on in 10-15 minutes. It's quite good at inferring what I do/don't like about things it suggests then correcting it's suggestions - one time I hadn't even realised myself what the reasons behind my preferences were but it 'deduced' them (I know it doesn't really think blah blah but who cares if it gets the answer right) and then was able to come up with a better list of suggestions. After chatting with it for a few minutes I was able to paste all that together and give it to a writer to properly put together the outline for the client but knowing we had all our sources lined up etc. I think the access to the web part plus GPT4's enhanced reasoning is definitely something people will find useful.

I used GPT4 to create some code that freelancers were gonna charge me $400 for on Upwork.

Having used it even more, I not so concerned about potential impact on my site traffic. I am more concerned for hundreds of other professions.

What mostly will happen, given Microsoft's track record, they'll introduce it, if it is somewhat successful, Google or someone else will copy it and make it work 10x better, and take over the market.

Microsoft is always late to the party, even when they are early. They just lack grace or style, I don't know how to explain it. They have the resources but just always fuck it up, probably due to internal red tape and bureaucracy. Hard to be quick and nimble when you are an old elephant.

Back in the day when it was just Windows running the world they could get away with their nonsense blue screen of death, not so much anymore.
Agree with this. I personally think Google will be the final winner of this AI race. Bing is trying to capture the audience but Google already has it + Chrome Browser + Android OS.

If they can implement a better & more accurate version of chatgpt in their products soon enough, people will just keep using what they were and forget about Bing again. Humans don't like change in general.

Back