Better Call Saul (Potential for spoilers)

Potatoe

BuSo Pro
Degree
No spoilers in OP but if anyone else is enjoying this show and wants to talk about it, there could be spoilers eventually.

Is anyone watching this?

I loved Breaking Bad and watched the first couple seasons of Better Call Saul ages ago but kinda fell off. Last night's episode was bonkers. I've been reading a bit more about it in later seasons and seeing all of the insane little attention to details BCS has that I wasn't picking up on initially, it's every bit as good as BB in terms of all the details and hints and foreshadowing etc, and I'd go as far as to say that I prefer BCS to BB at this point. I need to watch through it again from the start.

If you liked BB and haven't hopped on the Saul train yet, highly recommended. The character development in Better Call Saul is incredible, especially since we know where a lot of it leads thanks to Breaking Bad.

Vince Gilligan is a mad man.

That's fair! A lot of the media I consume is shorter videos, games, etc - so when I'm sitting down for a show or a movie I like the slow burn (as long as it has a payoff!)

That's fair! A lot of the media I consume is shorter videos, games, etc - so when I'm sitting down for a show or a movie I like the slow burn (as long as it has a payoff!)

I get that, but I think a reason for me, is that it takes place in BB universe, so I sort of expect a little more action and a little less talk. It's very heavy on character and personality, which is cool, but I regret to say I am sometimes a bit of a simpleton in what I watch on TV. I still think Sopranos is the best show ever. I prefer a predictable cocktail of sex, drugs and rock-n-roll violence.

I did watch the first couple of seasons, but I just don't have the patience for waiting a year for a new season, I lose track. There were definitely some highs in the show. The two brothers and their twists and turns was some of the best I've seen, having some of the same dynamics, but from both, in my own relationship with my brother.

I don't wanna say too much, but I think the later seasons of Saul have definitely picked up pace, and they bring in some more BB characters, and you can feel it getting closer and closer to the timeline of the first season of BB. It ramps up in a big way*. It feels more and more like Breaking Bad but just scenes that don't happen to feature Walt and Jesse imo. Mind you, Breaking Bad is a pretty slow burn at times too.

I don't want to try to talk you into watching something you don't like, I just don't want you to miss out if you liked BB hahah

Kinda semi spoilerish below:
The later seasons of BCS feature Mike and Gus more prominently, there's one or two seasons that are VERY Mike heavy. *It ramps up intensity in a big way as the cartel gets more and more involved. There's one particular cartel guy who is introduced who is one of the best actors/characters I've seen across this franchise, full stop.

I'll give it another go, you've got me convinced, but now to remember what the last episode I watched.

Haha, it had been so long since I watched season 1 + 2 and wasn't exactly sure where I left off either, so I just found some recaps on YouTube and stopped when I didn't recognize anything anymore. Fair warning, I found it really starts to pick up the closer you get to being caught up, so it might still be a little stretch until it really hooks you, if you weren't as into the earlier seasons, but I promise there's a payoff for anyone who likes BB. I'm also a bigger fan of the courtroom antics/drama kinda stuff over the meth cooking and dealing stuff, so it's a treat for me.

The most recent episode of Saul is the 3rd highest rated TV episode on IMDB, ever, with Ozymandias from Breaking Bad being the highest (shootout in the desert, Walt gets arrested, etc), an episode of Mr Robot being 2nd, then this one. Granted, I think IMDB ratings have a recency bias so that could drop over time.

Either way, looking forward to hearing your thoughts!!

Honestly,

I wasn’t expecting much when I first gave it a try.I thought, there’s no way they can top Bso as long as this is pretty good, I’ll be happy.

The first season was funny. A quirky smooth guy living in squalorish circumstances. But, he was always a man with a strategy. Maybe not a plan, but he had his seemingly endless hat filled with strategies.

Season 2, things started moving, lots of memorable moments, character and relationship building that really fit how they would be later in life.

season 3 crushed me. Season 4 had the best villain reveal since Gus.

But this season. Holy mother of god, what a season. One of the best seasons of any show and at this point it’s better and more rewatchable than BB.

LL is truly something. But bob odenkirk better get an Emmy for this season.

Haha, it had been so long since I watched season 1 + 2 and wasn't exactly sure where I left off either, so I just found some recaps on YouTube and stopped when I didn't recognize anything anymore. Fair warning, I found it really starts to pick up the closer you get to being caught up, so it might still be a little stretch until it really hooks you, if you weren't as into the earlier seasons, but I promise there's a payoff for anyone who likes BB. I'm also a bigger fan of the courtroom antics/drama kinda stuff over the meth cooking and dealing stuff, so it's a treat for me.

The most recent episode of Saul is the 3rd highest rated TV episode on IMDB, ever, with Ozymandias from Breaking Bad being the highest (shootout in the desert, Walt gets arrested, etc), an episode of Mr Robot being 2nd, then this one. Granted, I think IMDB ratings have a recency bias so that could drop over time.

Either way, looking forward to hearing your thoughts!!
I’ve never ever personally met someone that likes Mr Robot. I watched the first season on a spree, and that shit is fight club lite.

I LOVE IT

Tell me again...

qGbXCSq.png

:D

I think it's the best show I have ever seen.
This thing should be hyped up more than GoT... Or anything else for that matter.
But for some reason it's stays relatively small...

This show is one of my favorites too. I love the old-school marketing stuff he does - park benches, yellow pages, TV ads in odd hours, billboards, and so on.

This is a 32-min video that explores many possibilities for BCS final season. It was one of the best YT productions I've ever seen. Obviously you should only watch it if you've seen all seasons so far.

Back