Best Hosting Providers?

Degree
I'm having weird errors and unusual crashes (1 out of 10 times, site will crash) when traffic is peaking. I'm using hostgator, and got the Cloud Business package. Support is 0 to no help. So im just interested which hosting providers you guys are using and what experience you've had with them.

Tier.net has been treating me really well. Great uptime no technical problems.
Their pricing on individual boxes is amazing especially for higher end stuff.

Last edited:
Knownhost. You can scale the resources immediately with VPS and cloud packages when you're getting an unexpected rush of traffic. I always just rent servers that are stronger than I think I'll need. The costs aren't that different than trying to save $10 a month or whatever, since you'll earn way more than that if you can stay up during peak traffic.

Tier.net has been treating me really well. Great uptime no technical problems.
Their pricing on individual boxes is amazing especially for higher end stuff.
Knownhost. You can scale the resources immediately with VPS and cloud packages when you're getting an unexpected rush of traffic. I always just rent servers that are stronger than I think I'll need. The costs aren't that different than trying to save $10 a month or whatever, since you'll earn way more than that if you can stay up during peak traffic.
I'll check out both. Also, yeah Ryuzaki i completely agree, i hate cheaping out on stuff like hosting. Don't mind overpaying if the service is truly exceptional, i just hate downtime and unexpected crashes.

Serves me right for not doing my due dilligence at the start though. Hostgator is appalling in terms of server horsepower and customer service.

@DuckDuckLit, I'd warn you to stay away from all Newfold Digital (they rebranded after they burnt their previous name Endurance International Group (EIG)) hosting companies. You can see the list here under Subsidiary Brands: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newfold_Digital

They buy up good but smaller providers and milk the customers and drop the customer support levels and all that. Hostgator is one of them.

I have been having good luck with siteground. I wish i would have found them sooner. The customer service through thier chat and ticket system is amazing. I had an issue with a website that i thought had something to do with the hosting, they looked at it and indeed it wasnt on thier end. the guy told me what i needed to do and i was able to get it handled right away. I probably should have paid them for the help, other places would have charged me a $100. They went above and beyond imo.

Tier.net had some amazing packages and the sales people were so helpful too. But I got a VPS package, and it took them almost 3 days to get it up and running, all the while support was giving me updates saying it was going to be 3-4 hours. Before it was active, i was assured that there will be a professional migration service hah. That wasn't the case at all and I even offered to pay for the migration as much as they quote me, and it appeared they werent going to do it without a lot of convincing. And to be honest, I wasn't comfortable giving them access to migrate site, the way that the support spoke it appeared that they werent that knowledgeable. Cancelled immediately.

KnownHost on the other hand was great although the packages were not as good as tier.net for the same price point. But support, sales people, and the migration team were amazing (went with the paid migration tho $35/hr which is not a lot for that service). Literally all issues get fixed within minutes, and the support stuff is really savvy. No stress during migration whatsoever as well :smile:

Another vote for Siteground. I only have basic sites but the speed increase from previous hosts is exceptional. They are always looking to improve on loading times and chat is very helpful.

I'm second for Knownhost. Been using their managed vps for many years. The best support in the industry, hands down! Every ticket getting handled in a minute and solved in few more minutes.

The only thing, but i think it's an issue for other hosters too, is their switch from cPanel to DirectAdmin a couple years ago - i think cPanel is still there as an option but for huge price. This DirectAdmin shit keeps giving me some weird problems with my mail accounts, and sometimes even the world best Knownhost support can't figure how to fix them in a correct way. The last time we just lost indefinite amount of incoming emails on only one of my domains but the main working one - and we noticed that only after a couple of days and we have no idea now how many emails and from whom got lost. And they couldn't figure why some string in the mail config just got changed, and only apologized. That was the last drop and we are searching for a reliable external pop3 solution now.

But otherwise, they are really great.

Bigscoots. No nonsense, reliable as hell, and stellar support. The tradeoff is that it is premium.

The last time we just lost indefinite amount of incoming emails on only one of my domains but the main working one - and we noticed that only after a couple of days and we have no idea now how many emails and from whom got lost.

Same happened to me. I thought I effed something up. They had to flush dovecot and exim. I’m sticking with them for now, but nice to know I need to keep an eye on emails.

Tier.net had some amazing packages and the sales people were so helpful too. But I got a VPS package, and it took them almost 3 days to get it up and running, all the while support was giving me updates saying it was going to be 3-4 hours. Before it was active, i was assured that there will be a professional migration service hah. That wasn't the case at all and I even offered to pay for the migration as much as they quote me, and it appeared they werent going to do it without a lot of convincing. And to be honest, I wasn't comfortable giving them access to migrate site, the way that the support spoke it appeared that they werent that knowledgeable. Cancelled immediately.

KnownHost on the other hand was great although the packages were not as good as tier.net for the same price point. But support, sales people, and the migration team were amazing (went with the paid migration tho $35/hr which is not a lot for that service). Literally all issues get fixed within minutes, and the support stuff is really savvy. No stress during migration whatsoever as well :smile:
Sorry to hear about your headache.
You’re the second builder who’s had issues with their low end support.

Guess I gotta stop stumping for them.

Sorry to hear about your headache.
You’re the second builder who’s had issues with their low end support.

Guess I gotta stop stumping for them.
For the price... their packages are killer. I would imagine it's fine if you starting from scratch, new sites and everything, but particularly if you know how to deal with most issues on your own.

Migration though, impossible with them. They have to invest in some higher-end support and in a migration team.

Started on Small Orange, then customer service took a shit so I moved to PeoplesHost, which were great until the same thing happened, been on WPX for last oh, 4 years, and they've been fantastic at every turn, always willing to give a helping hand vs telling you to Google their FAQs like some..free migrations and speed optimization are great features as well (and I'm no VIP type client).

Started on Small Orange

Ha, very similar path, having witnessed multiple hosts turn into garbo after seeing ASO fall apart.

I have some red flags that I look out for now, and the second WPX starts to raise 'em, I'm bailing fast but thankfully, that hasn't happened yet.

- When you reach out via live chat and go back and forth and explain the issue thoroughly and they finally say "Hey, I can't help you with this, please reach out to support at someshithost.com to create a ticket..." Like, you can't forward it? I have to go over all of this again? Minor annoyance in and of itself, but it seems to be a signal.

- Like harry said, when they just send you to an article on their site or an FAQ or something. In some cases, it's fair enough that they don't want to do the same task over and over for people, but in some cases it's like... well why do I have a managed server with you? Just another signal, something to look out for. Whereas when a host's reply to an inquiry is "Alright, I've just fixed that for you, anything else?" That's a really good sign.

- Bonus meme: I noticed Namesilo is paying people in account credit to tweet for them, "Create a post describing your experience with NameSilo (you may reference quality of service, price and anything else that you may have enjoyed). Get 10 likes/shares and earn your account funds." I mean, different people can parse the language there in different ways, and I know every company tweets blah blah blah... not enough to jump ship, but makes me question judgement and priorities a bit, to have staff spending any time sorting through this or setting up that program in the first place.

I need good support cos I'm not a fuckin... linux server neo in the matrix god and I have no desire to become one. And with hosts, it seems like support is the first place they start to cut costs when things aren't going great, or where the cracks start to show if they're trying to grow too quickly. Either way, that's a good time to bail, in my experience.

I am a developer and wish to deploy static pages(for speed), I would use Cloudflare pages for the task.

My vote for the SiteGround. For those who don't have time/skills to configure and administer their servers. Yes, not the cheapest option, but the excellent service, quality, convenience, and lack of shit sites in the neighborhood, are worth it.

I like WPX for shared WP hosting. There’s no cPanel, but they have good performance, backups, custom CDN, and great support. My other go to the last several years has been Siteground.

I'm a big fan of Linode, Vultr HF servers, and Digital Ocean (AMD and NVMe drives).

I also manage all of these via Runcloud.io.
Does Runcloud provide support in case you run into server related issues?
Also, does Runcloud take care of updating the servers?

Does Runcloud provide support in case you run into server related issues?
Also, does Runcloud take care of updating the servers?
Heyo - you'd have to define "server related issues."

I've definitely run into small problems and asked them for support and they've always been happy to help me. Support also treats you like an actual human so that's always cool.

In regards to updates:
https://runcloud.io/docs/guide/server-management/server-setting

I'm having weird errors and unusual crashes (1 out of 10 times, site will crash) when traffic is peaking. I'm using hostgator, and got the Cloud Business package. Support is 0 to no help. So im just interested which hosting providers you guys are using and what experience you've had with them.
Based on price:
Namecheap. Really inexpensive and doesn’t crash even peak hours. They are always available on chat. I pay about 6/month

WPX managed Wordpress hosting. Very reasonable and you get up to 5 websites. They answer your questions in less a minute. $25/month. Only thing I don’t like is they don’t list the amount of ram but it’s supposed to be low.

Contabo VPS. This is the one I will be using next. Less than $25 per month and you get nvme storage which is faster than SSD. 8gb of ram. 200 tb of bandwidth. The only thing that’s different is that you’re using plesk vs Cpanel. I haven’t used plesk yet but doesn’t seem hard.

Heyo - you'd have to define "server related issues."

I've definitely run into small problems and asked them for support and they've always been happy to help me. Support also treats you like an actual human so that's always cool.

In regards to updates:
https://runcloud.io/docs/guide/server-management/server-setting

Sounds good.

Server related issues as in updating the stack and e.g. MySQL updates to a version which is not yet supported by the PHP version or Open SSL updates to a version and breaks Let's Encrypt.

Back