Best e-commerce platforms to combine with a website

TacoCat

Bueno...
BuSo Pro
Degree
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about creating my own e-commerce shop. I was just wondering, what would be the best platform to use for the e-shop management, as my programming skills are not so high to create my own e-commerce system.

I was thinking about Shopify, but is it possible to combine shopify store with my website? As well as is it possible to edit the looks of the templates that shopify gives?

Maybe there are better platforms out there?

Thanks in advance.

I like self hosted solutions. Currently using prestashop for my ecommerce, its not bad and you can configure it even if you don't code.

@RiverStyx self hosted shop sounds way better, as I think it allows more freedom over the code. On what language is the Prestashop based?

And how much can you configure the visuals?

you could try open cart it's php based and open source with lots configuration possibilities and add on modules

@RiverStyx self hosted shop sounds way better, as I think it allows more freedom over the code. On what language is the Prestashop based?

And how much can you configure the visuals?
It's php based like most of the software out there. Like wordpress you can get themes for it and from what I can tell it's very customizable. Opencart might be good as well but I haven't personally used that one before so couldn't tell you much about how it works.

All I know is Magento is very resource heavy and I wouldn't use that unless you're doing something large and have a good server and a cdn.

@RiverStyx I will have somewhere around 20 products tops. I will definetly look at both, Opencart and Prestashop, thanks for the suggestions.

I highly recommend you don't go with Magento, I hate it. Pain to work with and pricey to do anything.

Woocommerce is good if you already have WP, incredibly easy to work with and the work for it is cheap. Open Cart is another very popular one that is easy to work with and cheap, probably one of the leanest.

Shopify gets looked down upon because of it not being self hosted, but the ease/scaling of everything is great. I do some web dev and if I know a client is going to be managing the site themselves without my help Shopify is a go-to, SquareSpace is worth noting too (same idea). One area to highlight though is a lot of the Shopify extensions are monthly based vs. one time payment.

Back