Basic New Site Aging - Helpful?

Degree
So, my business cohort and I have been debating this topic back and forth for the last several days for several reasons. I decided to come here to see what thoughts others might have to offer.

I am working to knock some rust off and re-engage in the game after a hiatus. It seems that in the last few years the 'sandbox' is being enforced more uniformly for new sites. I'm thinking about tossing several new sites up w/a post or two on each and letting them get indexed to start aging with plans to circle back to actually work on them/care in a few months when the google clock has been running for a while.

Thoughts? Useful?

Yes, time heals all wounds and gives all sites some SEO benefit :smile:

I've had a site sitting, it had some backlinks already, and I did nothing except wait for 1.5 years and suddenly it had first page rankings. This was an expired domain and the content was borderline useless. It makes money.

The sandbox is real, 3 months, 1 year, in my experience, but there's a second, just as important sandbox, which is the backlink sandbox. You need to reach a certain treshold to really get to ranking. Once you reach that treshold, you can rank fairly quickly for most articles. Before that, you might have individual page success, but it doesn't translate site wide. That's the spot you want to get to fast, because that's the spot that scaling becomes viable.

So I'd work on getting some high quality backlinks as well. Get some paid directories maybe, certification links etc.

In addition to a domain-wide sandbox, you'll find that there's a per-post throttle too. It used to be that you could skip the per-post throttling, but I'm finding these days that nobody escapes if it's not a time sensitive post. It also depends on how much the query deserves freshness. Freshness can get you high but you can't slam right into the top 5 like you used to on semi-competitive terms. Maybe you can land in the upper 20's to 50's and then slowly climb your way up from there to where you deserve to be.

With all that said, you'll do better to publish a handful of related posts based on a keyword grouping you want to rank for. Like maybe set up a best-widets post and then four more like "what is a widget?" and "how do I use a widget?" Interlink all of the supporting posts and then link each one to the money maker. Then let all of that sit.

That way the domain AND the content ages and you can start establishing relevance for the grouping and for the domain. Later when you come back to them you can expand out from that topic to closely related topics and reap the benefits.

I do something similar. However, I don't post only one or two articles. I'd aim for at least 5-10 articles before moving on to the next site.

I just make low budget meme sites.

You can sow a 100 seeds and harvest a few of them when they’re fat and yummy.

Back