Backorder Domains, How to question - plus any ideas?

eliquid

Digital Strategist
Degree
So I have a client where the business changed hands.

Old owner would never add me to the domain registar and would never share his login, even though Im the main point of contact for all their online stuff ( website, marketing, etc ). He was just this old guy that for some reason thought it wasn't needed and he would be around forever.

Anyways, this guy sells his company. New owner keeps me on as main point of contact and we sign a new contract. All is good for a couple years until I start pushing for domain renewal, as the current domain of this business expires in a couple months.

New owner doesn't have the login, old owner says he doesn't remember the email or password.

I'm down to simply trying to get the domain before auction by backordering it and then owning it myself to ensure this crap doesn't happen again.

But, I've never done this.

Has anyone here done it? Who's the best company to go through and what should the process look like to kinda help ensure I can snag this? I know nothing is 100% in life, but Im thinking if there is some layered strategy, I would love to learn it so I can snag this and prevent it from going to auction or prevent it from being lost and dealing with the new owners the same as I did the old owners.

It's a GoDaddy domain.

And yes we have been on the phone and email with them dozens of times. They wont release the domain ownership to new owner.

sure, doing it daily for years

snapnames
namejet
dropcatch
sav

place backorder at all of them - big chance you catch it

assuming it's com, if some fancy or gtld then some other players are out there

you can pm me the name, i'll take a look

Unless users see the SEO value in it and it goes to auction. Then you will have to cough up some $$ to get it back. Good luck to you, hopefully the above scenario doesn't happen.

Unless users see the SEO value in it and it goes to auction. Then you will have to cough up some $$ to get it back. Good luck to you, hopefully the above scenario doesn't happen.
not only SEO value, brandable names can go much higher on auctions

Back