Ask a guy who just fucked up his back anything

built

//
BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Degree
So I haven't been able to train properly for at least 6+ months, gained weight hating life you know the whole deal.

Decided I would go do some squats today because I was sick of it, ended up screwing up my back again.

Sorta come to the realization that you know maybe I'm not meant to be as built as I used to be and things have to go down a different path.

Thank god for Internet Marketing because I don't know what else I would do, atleast marketing makes me as happy as bodybuilding used to

You should go down with weight MASSIVELY after an injury and a long period off.
But ego gets in the way....

So let me guess?

::emp::

How much weight did you start with?
like 60kg lol, I used to be able to 140kg so this is a reasonable amount.

Where i fucked up was pushing myself on the last burn out reps, as @emp somewhat of an ego thing

Me right now:

exercises_low_back_pain2.jpg

Reactions: j_b
Dude, I totally get this - I damaged my shoulder it the gym and was out of "proper" action for a few months until I'd finished physio treatment. No pressing was a killer.

Dude, I totally get this - I damaged my shoulder it the gym and was out of "proper" action for a few months until I'd finished physio treatment. No pressing was a killer.
No pressing would probably make me end my life, not training legs is something I can deal with as I can claim I was in a wheel chair.

But seriously, injuries suck dick, especially when you see your muscles disappear

Would you rather break your back or be seen squatting less than 60kg?
I train at home with those concrete weights.

But yes right now I wish I didn't even lift today.

Ego lifting when you're at home alone... gotta admire the moxy. Hope you heal up quick!

I sat at my kitchen island for 14 hours working, for 4 days in a row..

On a bar stool.

You know nothing of back pain, lol.

Two words:

Convict Conditioning.

---
Strengthen up the gristle, then carry on.
Take it from a crazy old bastard.

Two words:

Convict Conditioning.

---
Strengthen up the gristle, then carry on.
Take it from a crazy old bastard.
I never actually thought about this, might actually just switch to bodyweight exercises. Thanks for bringing this up otherwise I would have never though about doing a routine solely bodyweight based.

TRX - actually, get a cheap knockoff. Suspension trainers, sling trainers, they are everywhere.

I'm not a bodybuilder but I do work out. I fucked my back doing squats with bad form about 10 years ago.

It took about a year for the excruciating pain to go away. And about two years before I could sit down without using an ass donut. I used to bring that thing with me everywhere. Out to eat, to get a haircut, on dates, haha. Shit was retarded.

It took about 3 years before I could get back to working out. Sucked to lose all the progress but live and learn.

Give it some time and things will improve as long as you take care of yourself.

The big problem I think is that healthy, young guys never learn how to deal with injury or just simple degenerative effects.

Look for help / someone who really knows what they are doing (not your bodybuilder buddy, someone with medical knowledge) and take their advice and take everything really slow.

Yes, it sucks to be out of the game for 6 months or so recuperating, but better 6 months than the rest of your fucking life.

Also take the time to really work on the basics... form, not weight.

I never actually thought about this, might actually just switch to bodyweight exercises. Thanks for bringing this up otherwise I would have never though about doing a routine solely bodyweight based.

Give it serious consideration (all of you), if you are like me- parked in a Herman-Miller Aeron ( @contract - kitchen stool?- you're a psycho!) all day, your body will thank you.

Every time I jump up in one of those "Eureka!" moments, a "Hell Yeah!", or "Fuck Google!" or... well you know what I mean- I knock out a set of something. And this happens almost every hour or so, that means that my ass isn't rotting off in the chair (which is good).

The body weight stuff really creates true strength, balance and power. It can be done anywhere, and when you get back to weights it will reduce injury. It's awesome because you can focus around injuries without feeling like a turd by not working out.

P.S. Jumping rope too- that can kick your ass in...

I sat at my kitchen island for 14 hours working, for 4 days in a row..

On a bar stool.

You know nothing of back pain, lol.

Shit man. A very long time ago (think Mac Performa) I used a double milk crate and a pillow for 20 hour days. I was sorta 'tarded back then...

Just do exercises that don't involve your back. Like leg presses, leg extensions, leg curls, seated calf raises. Same with upper body. You can isolate the area of injury and continue exercising. Worst case scenario you can do cardio and not gain weight, or adjust your diet.

Yeah I gotta parrot what @Alex VanDavid said.

I used to go through $100-$200 chairs every year or so and never be comfortable, having to replace them because the fake leather or fabric would get all torn and the padding would disappear.

I picked up a chair that retails for around $900 a few years ago and it's still as comfortable as the day I got it, no visible wear on the seat either. It's made by a company called Global.

It's cheaper to spend more money on a good chair, even before you factor in the benefits to your posture and comfort.

“The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness.”

― Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms: The Play

What do you mean by "screwing up my back", is it muscle or joint injury. In which area of the back? If you are not sure what is it by now better find out bro.

If it's not something very painful and serious, keep training other body parts in order to maintain favorable secretion of hormones, this will hold some of your gains for sure.

Forget about deadlift and squats for now (I mean months) you can build superb stuff even without this exercises trust me. When the time for back training comes, you can start some very controlled workouts with isolated exercises while excluding the damaged area, when this stage comes start with cable stuff + slow reps. When the sharp pain goes away do various stretches, make sure to stretch every back muscle group every single day.

Almost forgot, when your condition start to improve and your confidence recover, on the bench don't try to make some weight tests, you know that back arching movement when your other muscles fail you on the heavy reps right? Play it safe mate.

What do you mean by "screwing up my back", is it muscle or joint injury. In which area of the back? If you are not sure what is it by now better find out bro.

If it's not something very painful and serious, keep training other body parts in order to maintain favorable secretion of hormones, this will hold some of your gains for sure.

Forget about deadlift and squats for now (I mean months) you can build superb stuff even without this exercises trust me. When the time for back training comes, you can start some very controlled workouts with isolated exercises while excluding the damaged area, when this stage comes start with cable stuff + slow reps. When the sharp pain goes away do various stretches, make sure to stretch every back muscle group every single day.

Almost forgot, when your condition start to improve and your confidence recover, on the bench don't try to make some weight tests, you know that back arching movement when your other muscles fail you on the heavy reps right? Play it safe mate.

Basically screwing up means I'm going to be in bed for the next few days, as I cant move without sharp pains. I should really get it checked out but cant afford it at the moment and my country doesnt have a medical plan.

Its happened twice before and its taken me at least 6 months to be able to squat again, but this time I think im just going to play it safe and try body weight training for a bit.

Definitely going to start stretching every day, especially since I've been working at the computer all day and my core has gotten weak.

Thanks for the reply

Holy shit...Really look into a checkup.

Hmm.. My advice (as an old guy, I know a thing or two about back aches)

If this is a muscular thing, take painkillers. I am not kidding, there is nothing "macho" about "enduring the pain" here. Worst case is a bad feedback loop
muscle ache --> cramping muscles, bad posture to avoid pain leading to other areas of muscle being overworked --> muscle ache --> repeat ad infinitum

This does not mean you should get stoned out off your mind, though. Take a mild painkiller (enough to take the edge off allowing you to move freely) during the day, take some for the night as well. This is for 3 days only. If it is not better by then, you got problems.

Also - heat. Not too hot, but a warm flask or pack will help relax them muscles.

Avoid lifting. Yes, you could lift to train other parts / isolate but really, don't.
Just too easy to fuck shit up again. Especially as you mentioned you work out at home with makeshift equipment.

• If better (meaning you can move freely):
    • Work on those back exercises. Yes, really.
  • One week later, if better (meaning you can move without painkillers):
    • Keep these up and add stretching.
  • If better (You didn't fuck anything up too much):
    • Look into bodyweight exercises / suspension training.
    • I can not emphasize suspension training too much.
  • One week later, if better:
    • You can now do light cardio (running, cycling) and stretching, don't forget those back exercises. Seriously, don't drop em.
  • One week later, if better:
    • Suspension taining / bodyweight exercises, don't overdo it.
  • One, better two weeks later if good:
    • You can go back to gym. Don't forget the back exercises, look into keeping up bodyweight. Look into how to exercise healthy so you can keep your body running.
I know six or seven weeks sounds long, but with your BACK... you'll risk life-long pain if you are stupid.

Aside:
Now is the time you can start looking into proper, correct form, and timing when lifting.
In my head, I already know how you do it, simply because I was a fuckhead gymrat in my early 20s as well.
And no, your gains say NOTHING about how well you train at that age. At that age, you can do the most retarded shit and pack on muscle. Proper form? Full ROM? Stretching? naaaaaaah, look at these guns!

TL;DR:
Any advice in this post will get completely ignored. See ya in 15 years.

Thanks for the write up @emp going to try it today. Especially the pain killers and heat

Yoga bro! That's not a joke either.

It will prevent you from injuring yourself. You are WAY to young to be jacked up already.

I had a bunch of injuries man. I was getting injured left and right.

I've taken it upon myself to really learn stuff through so I can avoid injuries. Right now I have a good idea of how to treat my body, as well as injury prevention.

Check out Kelly Starret, I ordered his book and already have learned quite a bit.

Educate yourself, and humble yourself, otherwise you'll fuck yourself up.

Back