As We Get Older

JasonSc

BuSo Pro
Degree
Yes, thus why I picked up a Rockem Sockem Robots at a garage sale.

animalstyle

BuSo Pro
Degree
As I age and look for new hobbies or things to do, I inevitably look to my past for what I used to love to do.

DD1

Degree
Do you find the need to preserve the things that you are fond of?

I have lived in 6 countries in the past 15 years. In that period I moved homes 20 times. I also lost 6 hard drives/computers. I also had to change emails 3 times. I know this is not normal in any way you try to look at it, but it is what it is.

Honestly, I would have gone mad if I had to stay attached to anything, physical or virtual, in that meantime. Sometimes things are just gone, and you have to accept it for what it is.

Of course, I like to look at old pictures, knick-knacks, and things. Personally, though I'm a very practical person, so while I do love having a nest, meeting old friends regularly, revisiting restaurants and remembering smells and flavors... Sometimes it's not practical or possible.

The funny thing is: growing up I really thought I'd become a public servant, work in the same place my entire life, live in the same city I was born and raised in, and retire there.

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Do you find the need to preserve the things that you are fond of?

Not particularly. I don't try to maintain sense of self in terms of defining myself based on my interests. I find a lot of times that OTHER people try to keep you consistent in that way because it keeps their world and worldview stable. But there's so much out there to be interested in, try out, quit, move on to the next, and experience deeply. If anybody feels like they have me figured out, I'm probably being stagnant.

But my point is that I like to follow the muse. I do have my base interests that I can always return to and do especially when I've tapped out my new interest or just need a break from it due to burn out.

To me, letting things go is freeing, and less is often more (except for things like love, money, health, security). It's the constant shaving away of the non-essential that lets you get down to the real deal, and when you do that, there's plenty of time for tons of things, more than you could even consider preserving.