Article Copied to Another Language: Link Opp or Remove?

animalstyle

BuSo Pro
Degree
I just found that an article I've written was picked up by a Brazilian website. They translated the article to Portuguese and published it, at the bottom they included: Original Source: https://www.mysite.com/

The URL is not hotlinked back to the article. They copied the images off my site (stock images, though one had some photoshopping). Their site is brand new, no domain stats in ahrefs.

Do I?
  1. Ask them to remove it.
  2. Ask them to hotlink the URL and move it to the top of their article.
  3. Do nothing.
  4. Something else?

Personally, I'd:
3. Do nothing.

Reason being is that it's outside of your scope, and they deemed it good enough to publish on their site. Just check their metrics and make sure they're not up to something that smells black-hat.

Think of it as foreign syndication. Even if you do reach out, have them leave it unlinked, G and the other spiders will figure out what it is, consider that a brand link done in the form of a "citation", so to speak. Unstructured, non-linked mention of your site. No harm, no foul.

Maybe reach out to them and see if there are opportunities to work with them in the future as a foreign guest poster or possible curation, you might have a whole new market on your hands with the Portuguese market.

There's a few ways to attack it, but no harm, no foul on this one. Reach out in like a week about collab with their translators. Ask them if they'd be willing to transcribe any videos you might have to Portuguese and add that as a CC to your YouTube videos, assuming you're doing video marketing as well. You get to reach a new market, they get quality content for publishing, and everyone wins.

I'd leave it too but only because the site has no metrics and you're not sure what their intentions are for their site yet.

If you do decide to ask to have it hotlinked I would not bothering requesting that they move it to the top. I don't think you'll get much referral traffic either way.

Thank you guys for the response. I am just going to let it sit for now, keep it bookmarked and wrap back around to it later and see if there is an opportunity a few months down the line when their metrics and intent start to show themselves.

Back